General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wilkofife
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 16:23:56
Print Post

Moving from TalkTalk

[link to this post]

I'm a longtime Pipex/TalkTalk customer, on a small rural exchange, who has always been happy with the service, but the dreaded BACKHAUL CONGESTION is making life intolerable. Speeds go through the floor evenings and weekends.
TalkTalk have shrugged their shoulders and said there's nothing they can do about it - it seems the only option is to go back to dear old BT - but is it really going to make any difference ???
Standard User flippery
(member) Tue 18-Dec-12 17:38:41
Print Post

Re: Moving from TalkTalk

[re: wilkofife] [link to this post]

I found this with TalkTalk ( ex nildram) on small market 1 exchange less than 0.7Mb at times. They were not prepared to invest bandwidth on non LLU exchange.
Now with Eclipse, higher cost but reliable 24 hour connection speed
Their are a number of other suppliers, other than BT with their onerous 18 Month contract, most of whom have 1 month contract for ease of movement.
Plusnet, AAISP, Freeola depending on download usage requirement,

Edited by flippery (Tue 18-Dec-12 17:45:27)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 18-Dec-12 18:41:52
Print Post

if the backhaul congestion is from the exchange then it's a lottery if another ISP will be better - they may be sharing the same link.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Dec-12 18:48:03
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Easy check for that - what do others with different ISP's say about their service.

Also TalkTalk/Tiscali has been pretty slow at moving people off old slow products, so an ISP change may boost connection speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Dec-12 19:12:06
Print Post

Which exchange is it please? The URL of what samknows says would be useful. That will let us check on some forms of exchange congestion as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 18-Dec-12 19:16:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by wilkofife:
- it seems the only option is to go back to dear old BT - but is it really going to make any difference ???

Very very unlikely. Like you i'm on a rural exchange (Scottish Highlands) and used to suffer peak time slow downs on an ADSL1 service...this wasn't with the notorious Sky Connect or O2 Access services but with quality ISPs such as Goscomb, Zen, Netplan etc. Two years ago TalkTalk LLU'd my exchange, joined them immediately and BINGO! peak time slowdowns were a thing of the past. Possibly your only hope is AAISP, who could whip BTW's asses once they see your slowdowns but TBH it happens at nearly every small/rural exchange come tea time. Just pray for LLU at your exchange, that's all i can suggest smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User wilkofife
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 04:55:49
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

It's Strathmiglo in Fife. ESSRM. Sounds a gloomy forecast...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Dec-12 09:36:50
Print Post

Indeed frown. No record of Virtual Path congestion for ages, if at all. Last update 14 Dec.

It could just be TT, which is known to be very poor. Or it could just be poor backhaul from the exchange as the others have said. I don't know, sorry.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User wilkofife
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 10:05:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, after a disastrous holiday period, when speeds were laughable - I finally got a new deal with Plusnet.

Speeds have not dropped below 6.3Mbps since. The improvement happened as soon as the router was reset.

Where's all the backhaul congestion gone now, then ?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:17
Print Post

Well at least you did the right thing.

It's the TalkTalk non-LLU interconnect with the BT Wholesale backhaul that is where the bottleneck was, or the TT backhaul from there to their routers. Not the BT Wholesale core backhaul.

Print Thread

Jump to