General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User brettuk
(member) Sun 06-Jan-13 22:50:49
Print Post

New Flat and New Line - who to go with?

[link to this post]

Hey All,

I'm moving into a new flat on Friday, unfortunately not into a fibre area, the flat has a phone line wired up, and has just been left by a previous tenant, so assuming the line could just be 'restarted'. I'd like internet service ASAP, but know these things aren't sorted overnight unfortunately.

I'm not really interested in phone calls, I never intend to use the landline to make phone calls, just want broadband. But well aware someone is going to have to 'manage' my line, connect me and do the line rental etc.

I'm looking for 'unlimited' usage, and ideally an ISP who doesn't block websites or do any kind of snooping etc. Ideally, a monthly contract would be good, as I'm only guaranteed 6 months tenancy, so if it doesn't work out, don't want to be left with a huge fee for the remaining 6 months! Also, bit concerned about full LLU as it kind of limits you to that ISP, making it harder to move away from them. However I should be able to get 21CN WBC I believe, so I should be able to get around 17mb or so?

I'm a completely new customer, no previous line I want to transfer. Ideally looking to spend no more than £30 or so a month for line rental & bb.

Here's what the ADSL checker says, and SamKnows.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNLUD

Thanks folks! smile

xilo

Edited by brettuk (Sun 06-Jan-13 23:03:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 23:56:33
Print Post

Re: New Flat and New Line - who to go with?

[re: brettuk] [link to this post]

Have a look at the Unlimited Broadband and calls on this Plusnet page. I know you don't need the phone, but look at the deal!

All you need to check is what happens if you cease after six months. In fairness all they will charge will be the outstanding number of months at the same price, not the normal early termination charge, which is the huge amount of £5.50 per outstanding month.

I think I am right in saying the phone side is on straight monthly terms, even with this deal. Ask them.

Another option is Post Office phone on monthly terms, with the unlimited broadband on this page. Again, the early termination is £5.50 per outstanding month.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User brettuk
(member) Mon 07-Jan-13 19:49:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I'll definitely consider it! Any other options I could look at??

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Tue 08-Jan-13 05:31:42
Print Post

Sky unlimited is worth a look. It's £10/month (first 6 months free). Line rental is £14.50. It's generally regarded as a good service. It's unlimited and has no traffic shaping. I was on it for a couple of years before upgrading to fibre and I got constantly good speeds.

It's a 12 month contract though I'm afraid.

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-unl...

Sky Fibre Unlimited

Edited by _Resonance_ (Tue 08-Jan-13 05:32:51)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-13 08:25:20
Print Post

i will second sky i used to be on them when i was on adsl and they are truly unlimited and never slow down

the offer of 6 months free and also top cashback of £80 it seams its a very good deal also with the 6 months free and the cashback paying 6 months out if you had to would not work out that much as you'd of already saved £140 in the first 6 months lol

I also cannot fault plusnet as that's who im with now for fibre but i dont have any experience of the ADSL service so i cant comment but i presume it would be the same good service they offer with fibre so either way

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest
My Broadband Ping

Edited by acpsd775 (Tue 08-Jan-13 08:26:22)

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-13 10:20:32
Print Post

I assume this is a rented property?

Does the lease have a stipulation that the telephone must stay with BT?

This is something which landlords do insist on sometimes so that the do not end up with problems when a tenant moves out and they have difficulty getting the line back.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:08:46
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

BT as in BT Openreach Wholesale Line Rental, (WLR). It doesn't have to be BT Retail. As long as it isn't an LLU phone, which mean Sky, TalkTalk or a TalkTalk reseller.

The Post Office, and pretty well every other ISP, is fine.

(I know what you meant, but the OP may not smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User brettuk
(member) Tue 08-Jan-13 13:43:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your feedback all!

I've gone with Plusnet - I was with them years ago but left due to FUP, but they seem to have gotten rid of that last month, which is great!

Plus their Line Rental, when paid annually is around £10 a month, and I also managed to get £70 cashback via Quidco

So it's only going to cost me £5 a month going forward, but with line rental and cashback taken into account, it works out around £9 a month - which is hard to beat!

I just hope I don't regret going with Plusnet if they start doing FUP stuff like they did before!

Edited by brettuk (Tue 08-Jan-13 13:43:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 16:05:43
Print Post

Good luck smile.

Print Thread

Jump to