General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparkphase
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:34:57
Print Post

Help me find some cheap ISP's

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am looking to get up to 4 lines installed with differant providors.

Can anyone point me in the direction of ISP's who offer up to 12 month contracts, unlimited (or very high FUP ~100GB plus) with free install.

Must cost less than £25 including line rental. I am open to paying line rental upfront for a year.

Thanks!

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:43:21
Print Post

Re: Help me find some cheap ISP's

[re: sparkphase] [link to this post]

Bit more information please...

Are all four lines to be in the same property?

Why four lines?

What exchange are you on?

Roughly how far from the exchange?

Do you have an existing broadband connection at the property (properties)?

Do you want any calls package with the line rental?

Do you have (or want) either TV from Sky or Virgin Media?

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 13-Jan-13 14:43:48)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 15:06:50
Print Post

Do the properties have existing working phone lines?

Free installation when the broadband is bundled with taking over a working line is not too difficult. Otherwise line installation/reactivation is almost certain to cost.

Have a look at Plusnet, where unlimited is either £9.99pm or £16.99pm depending on Market area of the premises.
Edit - £12.99 corrected to £16.99 as pointed out by XRaySpeX.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Jan-13 22:48:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sparkphase
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:33:21
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Are all four lines to be in the same property?

Yes, same place.

Why four lines?

I am load balancing.

What exchange are you on?

Basingstoke

Roughly how far from the exchange?

About 2KM

Do you have an existing broadband connection at the property (properties)?

I have 2 lines being installed by open reach. One is from a BE another is from Tesco. They are both installing the lines free (requires Open Reach engineer).

Do you want any calls package with the line rental?

Nope

Do you have (or want) either TV from Sky or Virgin Media?

No and no.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:40:42
Print Post

From your answers (requiring load balancing of four lines at a single property in Basingstoke) I assume you're either looking for redundancy or want high speed and are in an area of Basingstoke not covered by FTTC.

You mentioned you wanted a very high FUP (>100GB) or "proper" unlimited, so I assume you're going to be using a lot of data.

To be honest; £25 a month including line rental (typically £10 a month if you're with one of the four or five providers who offer discounted advance rental) isn't an awful lot for a high FUP product.

As you've already commissioned BE and Tesco to install a line each, you're pretty much stuck with them for a while on those two lines (although you may have made the right choice with BE).

Unfortunately it seems neither BE nor Tesco offer advance line rental discounts, so you're into;

£27/month for the cheapest BE unlimited + landline package (£17 for up to 10Mbps broadband, plus £10 line rental). This is the "BE value + landline" package.
If you wanted faster than 10Mbps (assuming your line will support it - unlikely at greater than 2km direct distance) it'll cost an extra £5 a month.

£20/month (well; £20.25) for Tesco's cheapest "unlimited" broadband + landline package, although at £6.50 a month it remains to be seen just how "unlimited" this will be (FUP, or "FUL" in Tesco-speak, seems to be 100GB) and they do admit to throttling of p2p, bit-torrent and "other file sharing".

I can see why you've chosen these two for starters, as they both fit into your 100GB FUP (which I assume is per connection) and £25 a month spec.

For the other two you may want to look at: -

Sky LLU, which is just shy of £25/month (for their cheapest "unlimited" broadband and line rental deal), even if you're going to take SkyTV (if you went for SkyTV, they give a £2.50/ month discount - hardly seems worth it just to get a bit of discount on your broadband).
Apparently Sky will do discounted advance line rental but it's not available over the web - you have to call them. This MSE link explains.

Talk-Talk (no, really!!). I say this as you'll then have three independent unbundled connections (for now - as BE/O2 seem to be looking to offload their UK land-line & broadband businesses, and God only knows who'll wind up buying or inheriting them) and one BT Wholesale connection (I believe Tesco still use BTW products, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), so you'll have maximum redundancy!

All in all, I think you could get your four lines for a combined total of less than £100/month, by taking cheap or advance line rental where available.

Or you could just wait for your local cab to be enabled for FTTC and use just one of your existing (or the above) ADSL connections as a backup.
That way the FTTC will most likely give you a higher speed than the combined four ADSL products and you'll still have the redundancy.

Hope this helps.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 13-Jan-13 20:45:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 21:28:03
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Unless I'm having one of my bad days, Tesco is C & W LLU.

I already suggested Plusnet Unlimited. So we have three. I agree not TalkTalk.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 21:33:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You may be right.
If Tesco is C&W LLU that eliminates the need for Talk-Talk LLU.
The OP can get his redundancy by using Plusnet, Sky, BE and Tesco.
He'll still have broadband sourced from four entirely different networks.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 22:16:34
Print Post

Consider EE Unlimited BB + Off-Peak Calls @ £21.50 pm =
£10 pm BB + £14 pm Line Rental - £30 Welcome Credit, equivalent to 3 months free.
Less £5 pm if you are an EE/Orange/T-Mobile mobile customer.

It is a BTw WBC network.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Jan-13 22:22:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That would be the same network as Plusnet then.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 22:31:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
That would be the same network as Plusnet then.

I think I'd rather go down the Plusnet route than go with EE/Orange (especially considering the feedback on forums).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to