General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shyleir2
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 15:31:42
Print Post

Changing from Newnet to BT infinity?

[link to this post]

I have been a customer for many years with Newnet but the speeds and allowance of 10gb for £18 plus the need for having to think about replacing my router are prompting me to consider moving over to BT Infinity.
There will be a hassle of changing my email address and there is the tie in period of 18 months. Wondering if anyone can offer any advice.
Many thanks
Shirley
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 21-Jan-13 16:56:33
Print Post

Re: Changing from Newnet to BT infinity?

[re: shyleir2] [link to this post]

I'm not in a good position to compare the relative merits of consumer ISPs, as my ISP has more of a business focus. However, I'm sure that others will encourage you to compare Plusnet's Fibre Unlimited to BT Infinity, also Sky's fibre products (especially if you are already a Sky customer). I can say that your Newnet product sounds expensive - I pay around double what you pay for 80/20 Fibre to the Cabinet with a 100GB/month download allowance and a routed IP block. You can get low usage ADSL products for under £10/month in many areas that have more than a 10GB/month usage allowance.

So far as your e-mail address goes, I would establish an ISP independent e-mail address now and start notifying people of your new address. This will make your eventual change of ISP easier when you decide to move. If you're prepared to pay a little, the 'gold standard' is to register a domain and pay for hosted mail service on it (make sure if you do this that the domain is registered to you, so that you can transfer it away if necessary). If you want something free, try Gmail, Yahoo! or outlook.com (the Hotmail replacement).

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Jan-13 00:54:18
Print Post

Re: Changing from Newnet to BT infinity?

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
If you want something free, try Gmail, Yahoo! or outlook.com (the Hotmail replacement).
Which many online sites won't let you register with due to their propensity to generate spam.

Better try O2 POP3'able Mail which is completely independent of their BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to