General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:17:19
Print Post

Plusnet uploads are slower than other ISPs

[link to this post]

This is the default situation on 21CN exchanges. Plusnet's automated system* provisions the connection with the upload capped at 448kbps, even if you are migrating in from another ISP using WBC where the upload is uncapped.

You can ask for your upload to be uncapped, but I'm sure that most users will not even be aware that they can ask for this. Plusnet say they are running bulk scripts to uncap users, but we've no idea how long this is going to take to complete. In the meantime the system is still ordering new connections capped (confirmed by a member of their digital care team on the Plusnet Community forums today).

Absolutely crazy!

* Manual orders are usually uncapped

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 24-Jan-13 20:39:22
Print Post

Re: Plusnet uploads are slower than other ISPs

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I had my connection capped to 440k back in December after requesting a profile reset. Still at 440k now. Supposedly a BT processing issue.

More caps than a hat factory.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Fri 25-Jan-13 10:25:24
Print Post

Plusnet uploads are slower than other ISPs

*cough* http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/01/the-top... *cough*

But yes, not all orders go through as uncapped and that's something we are addressing with the bulk uncaps and we will be sorting the automation out to uncap AFAIK.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Jan-13 10:39:12
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

How long is it taking you to sort out automation? A year or more? Bulk upgrades is just putting sticking plaster over the fundamental issue. I'm not aware of any other ISP that caps by default.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Fri 25-Jan-13 11:08:37
Print Post

Our focus over the last part of last year and the first part of this has been the new product launch and fixing the bugs that inevitably arise from such a large change. Yes it's taken a while to fix but saying that our upload speeds are lower than other ISPs isn't factual when looking at the ISPreview data.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to