General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kaworu1986
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-13 21:55:33
Print Post

New to Newcastle, need good ISP

[link to this post]

I am moving in a flat in Newcastle (city center location, closest exchange is NENT) and am pondering what my choices are for broadband.

I need an ISP that does not throttle and has truly unlimited download allowance, and am willing to pay for quality. While the exchange seems FTTC enabled, and the building is about 100/150 meters away from it in a straight line, all the tests I have done so far (using the postcode, haven't yet got the phone number) seem to indicate it's not available at the premises.

Should FTTC be unavailable, I was thinking of going with BE: I have been them three years ago and they were great (I've been out of the country since). Are they still a good choice or have they started throttling/limiting?

Should I by any chance actually be able to get FTTC broadband, which provider should I go to? Is BT Infinity any decent or are there any better options for somebody who would actually use the bandwidth?

Finally, how long would it take for me to get phone service? The previous tenants left the flat yesterday and they did have DSL, so would I be able to just phone BT and get the phone line (which should still be connected and active) transferred to an account in my name?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Jan-13 01:10:27
Print Post

Re: New to Newcastle, need good ISP

[re: kaworu1986] [link to this post]

What does this checker have to say about the postcode?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Jan-13 08:55:33
Print Post

Re: New to Newcastle, need good ISP

[re: kaworu1986] [link to this post]

If the phone line was a BT based line, then you would just request a re-start of the line (you dont have to go to BT retail for this)
Once the line is restarted and in your name then you just place a broadband order.
If the previous tenants left without sorting the phone line then it can take a little longer to get sorted.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to