General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Jan-13 19:45:49
Print Post

Moving need broadband with no contract or 6 months max

[link to this post]

Would like a decent download speed will be moving to Ripley in Derbyshire

| It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over. .|
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Jan-13 20:11:25
Print Post

Re: Moving need broadband with no contract or 6 months max

[re: Wab] [link to this post]

Phone line from The Post Ofice - on 15-days notice.

Broadband from any ISP that offers monthly contracts. My recommendation currently would be Plusnet, on the "No contract" option. See Section 4, Market 2/3 pricing.

FTTC isn't really an option for you even if available, due to contract lengths. Your ADSL2+ connection speed will of course depend on the line distance from the exchange. As I'm sure you know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 26-Jan-13 20:12:48)

Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Jan-13 17:25:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers for reply, I don't have a phone in but looks like this will be DE55 4DD the post code for my new place ( if all goes through)

On the other hand I'm not a Plusnet fan I remember them of old, and they are/were truly NOT TO BE TRUSTED!.

Think the only time I got a ban from here was about them ... and months later I was proved right!!

| It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over. .|

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Jan-13 19:09:35
Print Post

-----------------
On the other hand I'm not a Plusnet fan I remember them of old, and they are/were truly NOT TO BE TRUSTED!.
-----------------

I had my first ADSL account with Plusnet in June 2002. After a couple of years, they went downhill bad, so I joined Metronet. Shortly after, Plusnet took them over, so jump ship again.
Went to Enta next, then to BT (got BT ADSL free, as I worked for BT).
When I retired & had to pay for ADSL, I rejoined Plusnet (couple of years ago) & have been very, very happy with them, since then.

plusnetnlimited
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-Jan-13 19:17:08
Print Post

I've just put that postcode into the BT Wholesale checker. Have a go if you haven't already smile. If you have an address in mind then the address checker option would be better.

Re Plusnet, 2-3 years ago I would have agreed with poor assessments and wouldn't have gone near them. I reckon things have really improved though.

I joined on FTTC Feb 2012 after a year on IDNet FTTC. This month I restarted my 18-month contract for no good reason other than to go unlimited insteda of 250GB peak, unlimited offpeak. I use under 10GB peak per month. So I believe in them smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ncf355
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-13 13:05:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Highly recommend Xilo/Uno for a monthly contract - great service, great effort to make sure you get the best possible speed

I'd point out that I already placed a "pat on the back" post to them earlier today (been with them over a year) so I feel I should point out -

I have no connection whatsoever to Xilo/Uno, other than as a very satisfied customer!

Edited by ncf355 (Thu 07-Feb-13 13:05:47)

Print Thread

Jump to