General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maxim
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 10:59:00
Print Post

ISP with a /28 subnet

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm looking for an home/business ISP who can supply me with a /28 subnet at a reasonable price. It's actually for my home - I'm a networking professional that runs DirectAccess, Lync, Exchange and a whole other bunch of services in a lab so need the space to make it work properly.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:22:59
Print Post

Re: ISP with a /28 subnet

[re: maxim] [link to this post]

price range ? ADSL service or "fibre" ?

www.ukfsn.org/broadband/business-broadband.html suggests the Entanet resellers have access to this as an option

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Mon 28-Jan-13 11:28:22)

Standard User maxim
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:42:55
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Tricky to say - looking to get an idea of the monthly damage if any ISP can do it for a reasonable price.

Was considering the BT line rental and choosing the ISP on top - think about £30-£40 a month?

I'm restricted to just 21CN products on my exchange...

Cheers,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:58:34
Print Post

No NAT 16 is a one-off charge from Entanet to its resellers, Annex M might give you better upstream if you're doing a lot of serving but looks to be about a tenner a month extra.

£14 for line rental and £31 for 45 GB per month metered 0800-2000 Mon-Fri ADSL2+ ??

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 28-Jan-13 12:16:45
Print Post

I've got a /28 on my Zen connection. Any ISP will require the RIPE form for a /28 allocation or larger - you have to demonstrate the need for the addresses. You may be able to get a /29 without the form.

With IPv4 address exhaustion, many ISPs have withdrawn routed IPv4 products from open advertisement. At one point it was an option on sign up with Zen to have a single IP address or a /29 - as there was no cost difference, I suspect many people chose /29 and only ever used one address.

I'm pretty sure Zen will still offer a /28 subject to a satisfactory RIPE form and a one-off payment of £50+VAT for their administrative costs. You then pay the regular price for the broadband product of your choice. I'd contact Zen sales and ask if they can offer 16 IP addresses on a new ADSL account.

All Zen routed IP accounts use the highest usable IP address as the gateway address. Zen do not currently offer IPv6 on their broadband products - it's coming, but there's no timescale and apparently nothing is imminent.

I'm very happy with Zen - and have no links other than being a satisfied customer.

Standard User maxim
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:17:07
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks David,

I was with Zen about 6 years and had a /28. I found them extremely good too.

Looking at the Zen Pro product and comparing with UKFSN. The only real difference seems to the be bandwidth caps at the ~£35 price point - 200GB on Zen and unlimited with UKFSN. I don't think I'd break 200GB!

Cheers,
Standard User maxim
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:22:18
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Cheers,

UKFSN's Premium Pro Plus product with /28 looks great for me. I'll start making enquiries...

Thanks for your help!
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:50:36
Print Post

It looks like you've got a couple of good options to pursue.

A couple of other ISPs come to mind. IDnet seem to get good comments - though I have no experience with them. AAISP is also an option if their tariffs work for you - they used to throw around IPv4 blocks very liberally (people had huge blocks they made little use of, which have since been reclaimed), but I expect they will try to meet your modest requirements now. Both IDnet and AAISP offer IPv6 now.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 15:22:13
Print Post

If considering the Enta products resold by UKFSN, I strongly suggest you look at other Enta resellers as well. Vivaciti and Aquiss spring to mind.

UKFSN is a one-man band, and nearly all references you will find to them on here via a search will be uncomplimentary. Support when you need it can be extremely hard to get, and often the blame for problems will be put on the customer. There is also the normal annual problem in fulfilling his legal obligations to the authorities:-
Company No. 05292112

Accounting Reference Date: 30/11
Last Accounts Made Up To: 30/11/2008 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)
Next Accounts Due: 31/08/2010 OVERDUE
Last Return Made Up To: 16/11/2011
Next Return Due: 14/12/2012 OVERDUE
inevitably incurring large fines. Possibly also Vat returns are late, but details of those aren't published. Those also cost a lot in penalties.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 28-Jan-13 15:23:36)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 15:46:02
Print Post

the "unlimited" options may be only on LLU circuits

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to