General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alumni
(newbie) Wed 30-Jan-13 20:17:28
Print Post

Need a change, looking for help!

[link to this post]

Hi there

I have been with Virgin Media ever since I can remember. They have generally been good however I have had an area fault/been over utilized since May of last year and they have just yet again set a new fix date for the problem. I have simply had enough and need a new broadband provider.

We are not too bothered about a TV package and would only have a landline so that we can use broadband and not to actually use.

I download quite a bit and play games online regularly, so the only things I am looking for is decent download speeds, unlimited use (so I don't get capped if I download a certain amount), low ping and no throttling.

I live in Derby, England if this helps, any advice given is appreciated!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Jan-13 20:20:59
Print Post

Re: Need a change, looking for help!

[re: Alumni] [link to this post]

Which exact telephone exchange in Derby, as that governs exactly which deals are available

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Alumni
(newbie) Wed 30-Jan-13 20:24:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have just done a search on SamKnows, I don't know if this is accurate but it says Mickleover

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:22:34
Print Post

What does this checker say about your address? And does it confirm Mickleover?

On anything but VM cable or wireless broadband, the distance from the exchange makes a big difference - that checker gives us some idea of what speeds you will get.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 30-Jan-13 21:23:22)

Standard User Alumni
(newbie) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:31:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm302/smith11dcfc...
Standard User Alumni
(newbie) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:32:36
Print Post

And yes it does confirm Mickleover as my exchange
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:41:55
Print Post

If you have Sky TV then Sky looks a good deal. If not, then Plusnet.

Probably on Sky, and certainly on Plusnet, you have FTTC available at around the speed suggested there. All the ADSL variants are probably slightly slower than what you would get, but don't fit what you asked for in terms of speed.

You are a long way from the exchange, and also a long way from the cabinet.

There is a deal on at the moment with Plusnet - half price FTTC for 6 months. They also have a traffic management system which is not about throttling, it is about making things run well for people like you. See this explanation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Alumni
(newbie) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:54:29
Print Post

Thanks for that, that deal looks really good and traffic management thing looks good for gaming! Is sky/plusnet the best place to look for lowest ping? Because I've read that is the main thing for online gaming
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 22:07:55
Print Post

I'm not a gamer, but have seen quite a few posts saying the lowest possible ping can be counterproductive.

Apparently a lot of game servers add delays/latency into very low ping users as otherwise they would always win, and all the rest would leave. This added delay can be overdone making things worse rather than better for the person with very low great ping.

As I understand it a reasonably quick ping but with very low jitter is what is best. That way you know how your end behaves. It's no good if at one point you have 10ms ping and the next 20ms then back to 12ms.

Standard User Alumni
(newbie) Wed 30-Jan-13 22:27:10
Print Post

Right that makes sense, and from that info I gave you can you see that plusnet would be the best for that? Sorry to keep asking questions but I want to make sure before I switch!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to