General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User orangecstar
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 20:53:15
Print Post

Xilo or Aquiss or ...

[link to this post]

I have just moved house and am looking for an unlimited broadband. I do not play game, and will mainly be web browsing, streaming (e.g. Youtube, catch up TV), and VOIP. Currently I am looking at either Xilo or Aquiss. Both offer an LLU unlimited package for roughly the same price. I was told that Xilo is based on C&W whereas Aquiss is based on BE/O2. Another different is Xilo is one month contract and there is an activation charge, Aquiss is 12 months contract with free activation. Which of these two or any other ISP would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Feb-13 21:00:39
Print Post

Re: Xilo or Aquiss or ...

[re: orangecstar] [link to this post]

You should have no problems with either of those. I did think xilo also had O2/Be (O2 Wholesale) as well as C & W, which you get depending on the package you choose - but I could be out of date.

Why LLU? As long as your exchange is WBC-enabled, BT Wholesale-based ISPs can now often compete on both price and performance. Which is why I have ended up on Plusnet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Feb-13 01:24:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Spot on.. We offer both.

Pro 16 is C&W and the Be products are Be/O2W.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 10-Feb-13 10:07:43
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Spot on.. We offer both.

Matt

I could only see your Pro 16 packages, where could I find more info on your Be products?

I am new here. What are the advantages of C&W over Be/O2W, and vice versa.

Thanks.
(newbie) Sun 10-Feb-13 10:10:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why LLU? As long as your exchange is WBC-enabled, BT Wholesale-based ISPs can now often compete on both price and performance. Which is why I have ended up on Plusnet.

I have considered Plusnet, but have heard many not so good things about them. Their sale department also kept giving me different information when I contacted them.

Thanks.
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Feb-13 15:44:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by orangecstar:
Aquiss is 12 months contract with free activation.

Thanks for the consideration of our services.

We offer both 12 month and 1 month contract options (giving some choice, depending on requirements).

12 month contracts are indeed free setup/activation/migration and 1 month contracts are available via a one-off £49.95 fee.

Monthly charges remain the same regardless of contract length.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
(free activation or migration + 2 months free)
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 10-Feb-13 16:49:54
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Happy to vouch for the quality of Xilo's services both from the service itself and the support which are both excellent.

I'm on the O2/BE package which saved me a couple of quid each month and has given me a very stable connection and imprroved speed.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 10-Feb-13 17:18:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by orangecstar:
In reply to a post by uno:
Spot on.. We offer both.

Matt

I could only see your Pro 16 packages, where could I find more info on your Be products?

I am new here. What are the advantages of C&W over Be/O2W, and vice versa.

Thanks.

You'll only see these as an option if O2 has equipment in your local exchange.

I tried to get a friend of mine in Shropshire to sign up and he couldn't see them either.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Feb-13 22:58:34
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Also I think you only see them by putting in your phone number, and I get the impression the OP hasn't got a phone line yet. Maybe he has.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 11:35:14
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Happy to vouch for the quality of Xilo's services both from the service itself and the support which are both excellent.

I'm on the O2/BE package which saved me a couple of quid each month and has given me a very stable connection and imprroved speed.

Thank you for providing the insight into Xilo services and supports. Your signature shows that you have been with Xilo, both on the C&W wholesale on BE/O2 wholesale, what are the differences between them and why did you move from C&W to BE/O2?

I would also appreciated an insight from any Aquiss customer.

Thanks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to