General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BloodRazor
(newbie) Tue 12-Feb-13 05:53:30
Print Post

Best Latency ISP: BTw vs LLU AOL vs LLU Sky vs LLU TalkTalk

[link to this post]

Any opinions on which of the above ISPs is likely to have the best latency? (Gaming).

South Wales valleys uncongested broadband exchange, with only the above options (i.e. 3 LLU providers and of course, the standard BT Wholesale), nothing 'coming soon' (no FTTC, probably ever frown ), and i'm looking to get a 2nd ADSL2+ line installed. May get a dual WAN load balancing router if i can find one that'll work for me (and dedicate a line to gaming laugh ), but am also playing with the idea of having a separate router for this line so i can game in peace while everyone else congests the other line. 2 different ISPs is absolutely fine, perhaps even preferred to reduce the chance of losing both lines at once.

Distance from the exchange currently allows a sync rate of 18Meg down / 1Meg up with TalkTalk LLU. Latency isn't the best (it's acceptable, but could be better), although will definitely be asking TT to turn off interleaving, if i can get their tech support to understand. Regardless, get a strong feeling that i may be better off with another ISP for the 2nd line / gaming...?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 12-Feb-13 08:19:38
Print Post

Re: Best Latency ISP: BTw vs LLU AOL vs LLU Sky vs LLU TalkT

[re: BloodRazor] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BloodRazor:
Distance from the exchange currently allows a sync rate of 18Meg down / 1Meg up with TalkTalk LLU. Latency isn't the best (it's acceptable, but could be better), although will definitely be asking TT to turn off interleaving, if i can get their tech support to understand. Regardless, get a strong feeling that i may be better off with another ISP for the 2nd line / gaming...?

TBH i would stick with TalkTalk LLU for the second line and once you go on the fastpath profile (ask for '24FSNR6' profile via the forums) you'll be more than happy with the ping times - i get around 15ms on fastpath on TT LLU. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...certainly not on Sky LLU as they don't do fastpath, they offer a gamers profile (or used to) which minimises interleaving but nevertheless not as good as a fastpath connection. Stick with TT mate, you'll be fine with interleaving switched off smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
  Print Thread

Jump to