General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 22:14:17
Print Post

What's the best/safest way of leaving Talk Talk LLU?

[link to this post]

A friend is fed up with Talk Talk (I've posted today's saga on the Talk Talk forum).

She is currently paying ~£22/month for BB & telephone, it seems to be a bit variable, depending on the calls made. I haven't any more details than that. I'm not sure of the exact package but she only uses BB rarely so bandwidth is irrelevant, and fibre is certainly not needed. I assume she's on LLU, Her exchange is Gatley. She went to Talk Talk combined after being 'ambushed' by Talk Talk smoothies in the local town centre a few years ago. The last communication from Talk Talk re any 'contractual' matters is early 2010.

She wants to be able to retain her present land line number and, because of husband illness and other family illnesses she can't be without a land line at all, certainly not for more than a few hours (if any break in service is inevitable).

Clearly going back to BT for telephone may be comforting for her - no problems in the many years she was with BT before Talk Talk. Whether BT would, for her, be best for BB, or someone else like Plusnet.

Or would it be better to go LLU with, for example Plusnet?

A key question for me is what is the best, safest, and most economical way of leaving Talk Talk for such as BT or Plusnet without any significant break in telephone service, and for her to retain her present land line number?

How long would it take to re-provision BB on any new provider's line?

Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Feb-13 22:32:45
Print Post

Re: What's the best/safest way of leaving Talk Talk LLU?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I would suggest the phone line being returned to BT is the best/safest solution for that, as they seem to be able to do a smooth transfer (Return to Donor) from TalkTalk.

Quite what to do about the broadband is a bit less clear, but I feel her best option would be Plusnet Essentials. (By the way, Plusnet is not LLU).

I would have thought a Simultaneous Provide Order Number could be obtained from BT. Then submit that to Plusnet at the time of ordering the broadband, and with luck both happen on the same day. Maybe a PM discussion with a Plusnet rep such as KellyD.

The easiest would of course be to return both to BT.

I don't know if TalkTalk have any "Cease" charges.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Feb-13 22:51:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Or would it be better to go LLU with, for example Plusnet?
PN is not LLU; it is BTw WBC just like BT Retail's BB.

As she is not concerned much about bandwidth, I'm sure any of these BTw WBC suppliers, BT Retail, PN or EE, will do: They all do unlimited packages with landline (PN landline is optional). It's really a matter of price; the latter 2 will be cheaper and have offers on. Can also consider John Lewis which is actually supplied by PN but with slightly diff conditions.

Or she could go to O2 or Be Partial LLU and put her landline with BT, which is what I would prefer if a landline is important. BT voice fault handling is excellent.

Can't advise on best, safest method of transferring from TT but sure others can.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xplosion
(member) Sat 23-Feb-13 14:21:15
Print Post

Best way to leave would be to fill out the form to email them and get a MAC code. You should fill it out as follows for best results:

What is it about? Billing/My Account, I want a MAC
Subject - I want a MAC
Question - I am writing to ask that you provide me with a MAC so that I can migrate my broadband service to an alternative provider.

My understanding is that you will issue the MAC within 5 working days of receiving this request.

If you are unable to provide a MAC, please explain the reason(s) for this.

-
The 'Question' section I took from a template letter by Ofcom for a MAC request. TalkTalk are strictly liable to provide a MAC code if there's no reason that they cannot and they must do so within 5 days.

Once a MAC code is received, you can then give it to the chosen provider. BT would be a good option as many people feel more comfortable with them. Order your new package online and try and get cash back with the order if you can.

Good luck.

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Feb-13 14:37:50
Print Post

If your friend has TalkTalk fully LLU for broadband and telephone and would like to move back to BT network there will be a local loop unbundling charge and it could cost as much as £130. frown

http://www.homephonechoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/swi...

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User flippery
(member) Sat 23-Feb-13 16:16:58
Print Post

To be honest, unless there have been previous problems with TT. Is it worth the hassle of changing. Whilst we all become frustated at times, will there be any change with a move to plusnet or BT. will they be any easier to deal with, not in my personal experience.
Consider also there will be increased payments in all probability.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 23-Feb-13 16:31:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
A friend is fed up with Talk Talk (I've posted today's saga on the Talk Talk forum).

Is this due to the faulty TT router or are there other issues as well? Contrary to popular opinion, TT's actual broadband is very good if no line/equipment issues. If your friend has issues with TT's horrible phone support then i'd recommend moving to a niche isp such as AAISP, Xilo or Goscomb but she'll have to cough up the dough...quality costs smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
  Print Thread

Jump to