General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deft
(committed) Thu 28-Feb-13 20:35:57
Print Post

Any difference in ADSL max suppliers?

[link to this post]

I'm moving to an exchange (Bridge) that only has ADSL max, will there be any noticeable difference in suppliers given that it is pretty much all BT wholesale? I guess the re-seller can still stuff up their network side of things or do they have little influence? Looks like I will get close to the 8mbit max available but can't see any obvious info about getting better speeds anytime soon (strange as Canterbury is only 3 miles away and has lots of FTTC).
We use a fair bit of Netflix, some very occasional binary Usenet but no P2P. Online gaming with PS3 too but pretty rarely.
I'd rather have at least a nominally 'unlimited' service than a fixed cap, upto £20/month is fine. Any suggestions?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Feb-13 20:46:11
Print Post

Re: Any difference in ADSL max suppliers?

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Connection speed little difference but performance at peak times can vary a lot, so avoid Sky Connect and O2 Access

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Feb-13 21:00:57
Print Post

Plusnet Unlimited, broadband only, 12 month contract, Market 1 exchange = £16.99 per month. If you stretch the budget a little then I believe the upstream sync speed can be uncapped to 832Kbps from 448Kbps for £7.83 per month on ADSL MAX...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deft
(committed) Thu 28-Feb-13 21:01:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What about exchange contention? Presumably we are all mostly competing with each other given that there is only one LLU supplier (talk talk). I'm not too keen on Talk Talk but am wondering if using their LLU service might keep me away from everyone else?
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Feb-13 22:58:56
Print Post

If TalkTalk have LLU at that exchange and you are not keen on them - talk to Vivaciti about Surfwise Variety - as that is what I have on my TT enabled exchange (SWPM) For me it offered the advantage of pretty much unlimited ADSL2 without the problems of talktalks strange customer service ideas.

It cant hurt to check it out.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My BQM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 28-Feb-13 23:52:47
Print Post

If top quality phone support is a must then go with Xilo or Vivaciti on their TalkTalk LLU based broadband. However if you don't mind using forum support and want to save a few bob in the process then consider going with TalkTalk direct. Contrary to popular opinion, TalkTalk's service is fine if no line/equipment issues. In the 2+ years i've been with TalkTalk, not had a single outage (touch wood) and always get line speeds of 18 meg 24/7. So not bad for the UK's most hated isp smirk

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 28-Feb-13 23:54:55
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
However if you don't mind using forum support ... not had a single outage (touch wood)
Forum support is of little use if you have an outage tongue

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Thu 28-Feb-13 23:57:49
Print Post

also once you go to a LLU (ADSL2+) service, you'll never go back to a BT 20CN service again smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Fri 01-Mar-13 00:01:25
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
However if you don't mind using forum support ... not had a single outage (touch wood)
Forum support is of little use if you have an outage tongue

In the year 2013 i am sure you can access the internet via smartphone, neighbours/friends/relatives pc or the library pc's smirk

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Mar-13 00:07:47
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In the year 2013 i am sure you can access the internet via smartphone, neighbours/friends/relatives pc or the library pc's smirk
True, if you have them... but with decent telephone support you wouldn't need them.

Especially at 3am or thereabouts tongue

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to