General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gazimoff
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-13 01:00:25
Print Post

Looking for a gaming/streaming ISP

[link to this post]

Like many people, I'm looking to move away from O2 in the next month. I've got no problem with the service I've received, but I have absolutely no desire to support the Murdoch Empire.

With that in mind, I have one of two options:
* FTTC Infinity (48mbps down/8mbps up)
* Virgin Media (100mbps down/10mbps up)

My question is, can Virgin be trusted to deliver a good quality, reliable service, or am I going to be hobbled by traffic shaping, usage caps and FUPs? Would I be better off going for a LLU supplier that can deliver a good quality FTTC setup, even if I have to pay a premium for it?

I'm not interested in torrenting/P2P. What I do want are consistent upload speeds for streaming to a broadcast service like Twitch.tv and uploading to Youtube. I want a reliable download service as well, as I download and play a lot of games. Anything with a restrictive FUP/AUP is going to cripple me.

Your suggestions are very welcome - I'll be looking to move asap based on your suggestions, so thanks in advance for all your help!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 07-Mar-13 01:25:08
Print Post

Re: Looking for a gaming/streaming ISP

[re: Gazimoff] [link to this post]

BT Infinity is totally unlimited, as is Sky Fibre.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Mar-13 23:06:43
Print Post

Re: Looking for a gaming/streaming ISP

[re: Gazimoff] [link to this post]

Which supplier do you pay line rental to?

If you can get Infinity you can get FTTC from any of a hundred or so non-LLU suppliers. There's only Sky and TalkTalk that do LLU anyway now - plus TalkTalk Wholesale and O2 Wholesale resellers.

Best FTTC deal apart from Sky or TalkTalk is Plusnet.

Plusnet do not have an FUP/AUP, but they do have a traffic management system designed to improve things for users such as yourself, rather than restrict you. Have a read of this article.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to