General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rocketridah
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 20:37:40
Print Post

Recommendation for Woking exchange

[link to this post]

Collective wisdom of TBB, I've just moved to the UK, and left my sweet 50Mbps/10Mbps VDSL line in the previous country [god I'll miss it].

Looking for recommendations for the Woking exchange. I don't have any phone service at the moment, and previous tenant left no information on what he had, the faceplate simply mentions openreach. My building doesn't support Fiber and Virgin kindly informed me they can't wire me up either.

I'd like to stay away from BT for a number of reasons, so I'm looking for alternatives that:
- Have decent upload [Checking BT Wholesale I'm told I should support WBC ADSL 2+ and Annex M at my address, with theoretical speeds of 19Mbps/1.5Mbps]. I stream online and process several GB of data on my computer that needs uploading, also heavy doses of remote working/VPN.
- Don't clog up at peak time, when I'm working from home I need access to the office now, not tomorrow as we do a fair bit of online video conferencing to work on stuff.
- Unlimited/unshaped would be great
- Preferably under 50 GBP with VAT included

Am I asking for too much ? I've seen Xilo/Uno/Vivacity however having trouble figuring out which of their offers would fit best. Would love to hear from more experienced ADSL'ers here. I'm also a bit lost with regards to how does all this fit into paying for line rental. Since I don't have a line at the moment, some sites don't even let me order frown.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 10:51:55
Print Post

Re: Recommendation for Woking exchange

[re: rocketridah] [link to this post]

Hi,
Just for your information our broadband unlimited packages would tick all your boxes, http://www.vivaciti.net/internet/1/home-internet/6/p...

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Mar-13 16:30:10
Print Post

[re: rocketridah] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rocketridah:
Checking BT Wholesale I'm told I should support WBC ADSL 2+ and Annex M at my address
Not all ISPs supplying via BTw offer Annex M. Even tho' BTw list it, I'm not sure that even BT Retail (BT BB & Infinity) offer it.

Also the BTw Checker only tells you what you can get from non-LLU suppliers. it has no concern in LLU ISPs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rocketridah
(newbie) Sat 09-Mar-13 23:30:53
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you for the feedback, you make a good point XRaySpeX. Probably a noob question: is there somewhere where I could check LLU ISP's offerings, or am I better off just contacting their sales departments ?

I've noticed some people having trouble with Annex M, I'm sitting about 600m by road from the exchange. I guess the only way to check if it works on my line is to give it a go once I do have a line and a provider willing to supply it.

Cheers,
Marco
  Print Thread

Jump to