General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Sat 09-Mar-13 20:01:34
Print Post

Which FTTC ISP?

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm currently on Sky LLU and I'm reasonably happy with it - I'd like lower latencies and a static IP, but I can live without them for £7.50/m.

My issue is I'm moving to somewhere FTTC enabled later this month and the cost appears to level out between a lot of ISPs at this point.

I know the people currently living in my new house have Sky LLU, and given their home move service I think Sky would likely get me up and running the fastest (this is quite important, tbh).

Who else should I be considering, though?

If I move from Sky I'd like a Static IP and 120GB+ usage without shaping for less than £40pm.

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU & IoW Cable.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Mar-13 23:20:10
Print Post

Re: Which FTTC ISP?

[re: mikehiow] [link to this post]

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre is £19.99pm. A static IP address is a one-off payment of £5 which you can trigger within minutes of initial connection. There is potential traffic shaping if you use the connection heavily, but its effect is to help not hinder. See this article.

BT seem to be the best at Simultaneous Provides but Infinity costs more than Plusnet. No static IP address unless you go for the more restrictive Business Infinity.

Plusnet should be able to do the same but I wouldn't be as confident.

Do Sky provide FTTC there? They do in most FTTC areas, but can lag behind the rest. No static IP address either.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Mar-13 23:21:08)

Print Thread

Jump to