General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jet_dee
(newbie) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:23:15
Print Post

E14 area no-frills fibre optic broadband short contract?

[link to this post]

I'm due to move to a flatsharing arrangement with a couple of people I don't know; when I went to view the flat, the existing tenant told me that I could switch broadband provider if I wanted, as the contract was in her name and she had no idea whether it was still value for money.

I've checked samknows.com and found the area is not served by Virgin Media's cable, so it looks like I'll be researching FTTC/FTTH providers.
My personal internet usage is moderate to high, I use Spotify a lot, watch YouTube occasionally, like to stream LOVEFiLM, download podcasts and browse the internet heavily.
I don't know what the new flatmates' usage is like but I imagine it will be similar.

I'm not in need of a landline, and I'm perfectly happy with Freeview, so who comes highly recommended for their fibre broadband service? Everyone works so it would be nice to avoid slow speeds during peak times, if possible.

Also important, if the new contract is in my name, my tenancy contract is just 6 months so I wouldn't like to sign a broadband contract any longer than that.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Mon 11-Mar-13 12:36:55
Print Post

Re: E14 area no-frills fibre optic broadband short contract?

[re: jet_dee] [link to this post]

BT, SKY, Plusnet are all fine.

Personally I would avoid SKY since they require that you unbundled you voice line which doesnt sound like a good idea for a rental property, especially if you want a short contract.

Have you checked whether FTTC/FTTP? Not sure if anyone does short contract for FTTC/FTTP though. The install charge from BT OR to the ISP is £80 or so and they impose a minmum 12 month contract on the ISP.

I think you will need to discuss with the other residents .........

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:18:38
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Expensive allowance-based FTTC suppliers have 12-month contracts.

Cheap unlimited usage FTTC suppliers have 18 month contracts.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:18:56
Print Post

[re: jet_dee] [link to this post]

Hi,
I am afraid you wont get an FTTC package with less than a 12 month contract, but you can get different broadband options on a monthly contract, although E14 can sometimes be a pain as there is a lot of aluminium around that can cause issues with broadband speeds, we have a very high number of customers in the area so have quite a bit of experience in the area.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to