General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrpbrown
(newbie) Mon 11-Mar-13 20:01:46
Print Post

Virgin refuses to install - need lots of data and reliable

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Recently quit a contract with BT that was signed up for by one of my old flatmates. The plan was to get Virgin 100MB in but irritatingly they've refused to install to my property as they can't find a way to get the cable up from street level (fragile porch covering the front of the building).

Occupants of the flat all work in software and work from home quite frequently - as you can imagine this involves a lot of syncing of large repositories so we're going to need reasonable speed (don't think we'll manage over about 16 meg given the location). More importantly we'll need unmetered or very high limits, excellent reliability and at worst traffic shaping that is not too pronounced.

FTTC is unfortunately out of the question as our building is connected directly to the exchange (Kingsland Green). I'm not prepared to go with Sky/O2/BE at present. Does anyone have any other suggestions that might fit our needs?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Mar-13 21:25:40
Print Post

Re: Virgin refuses to install - need lots of data and reliab

[re: mrpbrown] [link to this post]

Plusnet Unlimited. With or without Plusnet phone line, with 12 month or 1 month contract options.

Ignore the "up to 16Mbps". It's "up to 24Mbps ADSL2+, but adverts these days have to show speed attainable by at least 10% of customers.

What speed sync was the BT connection, or wasn't it ever installed?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Mar-13 09:11:04
Print Post

Virgin don't like doing anything that is not simple and will take more than a few minutes

Around here their excuse is "garden is too long" ... with various add-ons such as "signal will not reach", "out cables are too short", "there is a bridge", and more. All because they cannot be bothered ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrpbrown
(newbie) Thu 14-Mar-13 21:36:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi - thanks for the info. To be honest I can't remember what the sync speed was with BT as I wasn't doing any work from home at that time.

I've been reading up on Plusnet and it seems like a few people are complaining of peak time slowdown which doesn't seem ideal. I've also seen a lot of people on here recommending ISPs like Xilo and Vivaciti - thoughts on those? Xilo's products don't look entirely clear to me from their website.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 23:24:51
Print Post

It isn't peak-time slowdown. It is a latency rise. You can see it in my BQM, in my sig. It isn't me doing a lot there, in fact most days it's my slackest time.

Unless you are gaming at that time it isn't something that will affect you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Mar-13 14:34:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Virgin are useless

told me that I was not in a virgin cable area

putting anyone on either side of me into the address checker and was like yes you can have cable

seem ok with the current isp, no hassle and no traffic shaping smile

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to