General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User overthepond
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-13 20:11:13
Print Post

"Alternative" ISPs

[link to this post]

Evening! I've seen some of the "which ISP" posts on here and they're inordinately long, so I want to try and keep this brief.

I'm about to move house - currently with an ISP on the South Yorkshire Digital Region network but I'm moving out of that network's area. I enjoy being with a smaller company, with the more personal service aimed at technical users.

My new home is in a fairly rural location and no FTTC/P is available, and there are no plans. There's LLU (according to Samknows) from: AOL, O2/Be, TalkTalk, Sky and Tiscali. I'm predicted roughly 7.5Mbps on ADSL2+. This is enough for me. I've had 40Mbps for a while, and don't really use the extra speed!

So the question - what "alternative" ISPs would people recommend? By "alternative," I mean not the big few, not BT, TalkTalk, Sky, O2, and so on. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a good connection and honest service from a smaller company. Unlimited isn't a big deal for me, as long as any cap is above 40GB or so. My current ISP doesn't shape or manipulate traffic in any way, and while I'm not a big torrenter, it's nice to know that I have a fairly unfiltered connection, so that would be good to carry over.

I've seen names like ADSL24, Xilo etc mentioned here, and a few others - what is your favourite of these smaller ISPs, and which would you recommend, and why?

Many thanks in advance!
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Mar-13 21:14:03
Print Post

Re: "Alternative" ISPs

[re: overthepond] [link to this post]

xilo/uno "pro" since your exchange has a TTB presence. "Pro" is partial LLU SMPF.

I've had xilo/uno "pro" for more than a year and the support is 1st class, connection is rock solid with I've never any throughput slow downs smile

BTW. my line rental is with BT.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Mar-13 22:03:40
Print Post

I've been with Eclipse for nearly 10 years. A few years ago had a couple of issues with Customer Services - non-technical - all resolved.

They're certainly not cheap but the BB is rock solid with no noticeable speed change at any time of day. I don't stream or game so cannot comment on that aspect. I have a 50GB / month bandwidth, downloads only, Eclipse do not count uploads against bandwidth.

I'm on a 21CN line and get downlaod speeds about 8.0 Mbps, upload about 0.9 Mbps.

My telephone line is with BT.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Mar-13 19:26:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by overthepond:
Evening! I've seen some of the "which ISP" posts on here and they're inordinately long, so I want to try and keep this brief.

I'm about to move house - currently with an ISP on the South Yorkshire Digital Region network but I'm moving out of that network's area. I enjoy being with a smaller company, with the more personal service aimed at technical users.

My new home is in a fairly rural location and no FTTC/P is available, and there are no plans. There's LLU (according to Samknows) from: AOL, O2/Be, TalkTalk, Sky and Tiscali. I'm predicted roughly 7.5Mbps on ADSL2+. This is enough for me. I've had 40Mbps for a while, and don't really use the extra speed!

So the question - what "alternative" ISPs would people recommend? By "alternative," I mean not the big few, not BT, TalkTalk, Sky, O2, and so on. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a good connection and honest service from a smaller company. Unlimited isn't a big deal for me, as long as any cap is above 40GB or so. My current ISP doesn't shape or manipulate traffic in any way, and while I'm not a big torrenter, it's nice to know that I have a fairly unfiltered connection, so that would be good to carry over.

I've seen names like ADSL24, Xilo etc mentioned here, and a few others - what is your favourite of these smaller ISPs, and which would you recommend, and why?

Many thanks in advance!

If you want excellent customer service and are willing to pay extra for it, take a look at IDNet

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Mar-13 20:51:34
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Take a look at Andrews and Arnold aa.net.uk, in particular their home::1 tarrif
  Print Thread

Jump to