General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(regular) Wed 13-Mar-13 13:19:32
Print Post

Plusnet

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

I am trying to help my father to choose a suitable ISP.

He is currently on a BT phone line with O2 on a legacy product but wants to change as they are being bought by Sky and he is looking for a cheaper phone/broadband package. Plusnet seems to be cheaper (with inclusive international calls) but I have read some recent bad reports of their line speeds and that their supplied modem/router is not very good for wireless. He is a Mac user but I am usually his first port of call if there is a problem.

If Plusnet is good then great, if not any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD
iPad (3rdGen) 32GB
iPhone 5 16GB

BT Infinity FTTC Unlimited
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Mar-13 13:33:07
Print Post

Re: Plusnet

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

Why not keep the line rental with BT for a while longer (does he have or is he still in a BT annual contract?) and give Plusnet stand alone broadband a try on a monthly no contract deal. That might be the more expensive option, initially, but he will not be tied down to a Plusnet BB/phone package for a year.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Mar-13 14:51:09
Print Post

He could also consider EE BROADBAND. They run on a similar unlimited BTw platform and are sometimes cheaper than PN, depending on current offers.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Mar-13 15:04:21
Print Post

I think the wireless problem with Plusnet is more to do with the achievable (wireless connection) speeds on FTTC - at least in my case it is. At ADSL2+ speeds I think it would be just as good as the O2 box. (Having had both).

Re PN line speeds, again I think you may be being misled. There is a slight issue for many users of evening latency increases. You can see this in my BQM linked to in my sig. The rise is at a time I use the net very little, and the single very high spike was a download of several hundred emails.

Download speeds are consistently good.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 13-Mar-13 15:05:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Mar-13 15:08:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by astanden:
Plusnet seems to be cheaper (with inclusive international calls
I prefer to stay with BT for the phone. If you look into all the detailed extras you might find the phone costs are not a lot different. For example caller display and 1571 can be free on BT.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bright
(member) Thu 14-Mar-13 16:48:59
Print Post

Is he planning to use his Mac with a wireless connection to the router (I guess so, since you mentioned it!)? If so, is it likely the Mac would be close-ish to the router location or could it be separated by several thick walls?

My Macbook Pro won't talk to the Plusnet TG582n router at all with wifi from the other end of the house, but I'm unlucky enough to have a long, narrow house with thick brick walls and LOTS of neighbours with wifi. It's a problem I've had with quite a few routers.

Like RobertoS, I haven't suffered very much from the Plusnet "peak time slow-down" problem but some people seem to have been affected quite badly. It's hard to know how widespread the problem is (happy customers don't tend to post to say everything is fine). But it's clearly a "fault" and PN staff are working hard to fix it.

Other than these issues, I don't think your father will have any problems with PN as a Mac user.

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Netscalibur > Dircon > Zen > Be > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User astanden
(regular) Thu 14-Mar-13 19:54:17
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

The plusnet router is the same as the O2 one so I don't expect any problems unless different firmware makes a difference.

Regards,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD
iPad (3rdGen) 32GB
iPhone 5 16GB

BT Infinity FTTC Unlimited
Standard User Ryan1
(member) Thu 14-Mar-13 20:18:06
Print Post

Well, i'm a plusnet fibre user and have NO issues with line speed. In fact I get a much faster line than promised.

If he's a MAC user (like me) then why not buy an Apple Airport Extreme router??

This is what I use and have never looked back. So simple to use. Plus the option of using both 2.4ghz & 5ghz bands at the same time so you can optimise the connection for EACH individual device that you use to connect to the internet. While I acknowledge the initial outlay is off-putting he'll never regret it.

ISP supplied routers are normally cr*p and not very flexible to use.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 23:20:33
Print Post

Oh - I forgot.

You may also have seen lots of reports about a silly issue. There is something in their system that provisions all ADSL2+ lines at 448kbps upload. It's supposed to be being fixed, but ... frown. Raising a ticket, or a phone call, gets it fixed within a couple of days.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 14-Mar-13 23:20:57)

Standard User Bright
(member) Fri 15-Mar-13 09:55:13
Print Post

If it's the same router model as he already has and the wifi is currently satisfactory, he should be fine. And it's free (apart from the £5 p&p). In the unlikely event he does have a problem, there's no shortage of good alternatives at reasonable prices.

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Netscalibur > Dircon > Zen > Be > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
  Print Thread

Jump to