General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OutOfTime
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 23:29:09
Print Post

Unknown isp?

[link to this post]

Hi I'm just looking at different providers and come across pulse8broadband I've never seen before wanted to know if anyone had experience with them?

I've looked around only found two reviews on another rating's website but they where a while ago.

Thanks
Andy
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 00:07:38
Print Post

Re: Unknown isp?

[re: OutOfTime] [link to this post]

The accounts side of them looks OK. I'm less happy about their broadband products on this page. In particular if you hover over the information boutton on each you get ludicrous contention ratio figures, which can only apply to within their own routers. Not to the overall service you receive.

The ads themselves are no longer compliant with broadband advertising rules - you won't find any well-known ones showing 24Mbps down, or 2.5Mbps up (on Annex M). The Annex A 1.1Mbps up is fine.

Advertised speeds have to be attained by at least 10% of live customers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User OutOfTime
(newbie) Thu 14-Mar-13 00:41:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks for the reply just curious to what others thought.

I'm directly connected to my exchange so looking around for options I'm one of the one's on BE service being sold off to sky lol.

Thanks
Andy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Mar-13 00:44:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Advertised speeds have to be attained by at least 10% of live customers.
Per product?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Mar-13 00:49:19
Print Post

[re: OutOfTime] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by OutOfTime:
I'm directly connected to my exchange
What does that mean? You are not connected to a cab (EO line)?

I'm one of the one's on BE service being sold off to sky
All of the ones on Be are being transferred to Sky.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 00:49:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes. Which is why I distinguished between the upstream on the valid Annex A and the highly improbable Annex M.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User OutOfTime
(newbie) Thu 14-Mar-13 00:52:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by OutOfTime:
I'm directly connected to my exchange
What does that mean? You are not connected to a cab (EO line)?

I'm one of the one's on BE service being sold off to sky
All of the ones on Be are being transferred to Sky.

That's correct I don't have a green cab (Eo) line striagnt to the exchange from the test's I've ran as I only live 5 min walk from my exchange good for ADSL+2 and LLU's not so if you want fiber broadband.

Thanks
Andy

Edited by OutOfTime (Thu 14-Mar-13 00:54:27)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Mar-13 00:57:54
Print Post

Yes, just clarifying!

N.B. The 18 Meg Download for the Annex M is not there to comply with ASA but to allow for decreased Download when you get 2.5 Meg Annex M Upload.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 01:30:20
Print Post

This is all silly and not helping the OP. I made an minor comment about non-compliance and I stand by that.

You are wrong, as given an approximate 24Mps downstream sync on Annex A there is a fair chance that there would be no change to it on Annex M. To me, the implication is the person producing that page understood little about the Annex M issue, as they have reduced the maximum downstream by 6Mbps.

At around 16Mbps downstream Annex A there is indeed a loss of 2.5Mbps downstream sync if moving to Annex M, and virtually no increase in upstream sync. As the Annex A d/s sync increases the loss by moving to Annex M decreases, and the upstream gain increases.

From around 20Mbps and upwards d/s on Annex A, a move to Annex M normally has little effect on the downstream, and the upstream rises towards 2.5Mbps as the line length decreases.

Based on empirical evidence from multiple DMT bit-loading graphs years ago on Be - information that is no longer available due to tbb archiving. It's to do with the way the different frequencies attenuate, and the way the higher frequencies come into use with possibly full 14-bit availability per bin as line length decreases. Thus allowing the modems to compensate for the low frequencies handed over to the upstream.

Standard User veebrijseo
(newbie) Thu 14-Mar-13 06:17:41
Print Post

Hi
I'm just searching at others providers , I've never seen earlier and want to know if anyone had experience with them

veebrij.com

thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to