General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ralphaverbuch
(regular) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:31:21
Print Post

Has Utility Warehouse started draconian traffic shaping?

[link to this post]

Email to Utility Warehouse today after I noticed a very sudden change in BB behaviour yesterday...

"Contacted support yesterday with terrible BB performance of 89kbps downstream! Looks to me like new traffic shaping as bigger downloads slow to a crawl and make even browsing unusable. Is UW BB provider traffic shaping? If yes it's totally unacceptable & will need to change after many years with you. As a gold customer I am V unhappy. It is not the router nor the connection - something is affecting the network further up the food chain. Please let me know what's going on."

Any other UW customers on here getting the same thing? It seems fine if you're browsing or using email but the moment you try to download a file of any size -- e.g. 100mb+ -- it starts at a good lick then drops to a few bytes a second or even stops entirely! Infuriating...

It also seems to have affected VOIP phone service which we've had for maybe 6 years with mostly no problems.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:36:55
Print Post

Re: Has Utility Warehouse started draconian traffic shaping?

[re: ralphaverbuch] [link to this post]

It could just be congestion, assuming you have checked your modem is still connecting at a sensible speed.

Is this 89 kilo bits per second using a HTTP web download or a p2p protocol?

Our speed tester at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html will usually give a bad result for tbbx1 and a much better one for HTTPx6 if the issue is a plain congestion one.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:43:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http. I hardly ever download anything using P2P or torrents, etc.

Cheers

R

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:51:33
Print Post

In which case check the connection speeds and what the test shows, since it uses multiple threads it can show some interesting info by looking at the resulting graph

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:06:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Check using what -- speedtest.net? Tried that - not very good. I got about 4Mb downstream at 9am today but checking it now at 2pm it wouldn't even load! Tried four times and it keeps coming back saying 'Configuration Load Failed'. I've never seen that one before today...

That's despite my Netgear DGN2000 Router giving me the following:

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 5536 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

It's literally unusable. I'll be impressed if I can post this given the almost dead stop we've come to

R
(regular) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:09:58
Print Post

Quick update - on the 5th attempt speedtest.net did work and even gave me a figure of 1Mbps downstream. In my current circumstance that's a positive luxury!!

R
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:32:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by ralphaverbuch:
Check using what -- speedtest.net?
[cough] tongue
Maybe the link here?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:01:37
Print Post

I mean the tester at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Which gives graphs of what the throughput was like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... and from those you can often get an idea of what the connection is up to.

As you look like you may be on IPStream Max wholesale product, then another option is that your IP Profile setting is low, due to low speed incident in the last few days.

Run the test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ click through to the Further Diagnostic Results to get the current IP Profile for your connection.

(regular) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:30:42
Print Post

I'm guessing that if this were a medical problem the patient would be put on emergency life support?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13633...

R
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 21:05:59
Print Post

Congestion seems most likely thing from that graph

It could be the exchange, but more inclined to suggest it is utility warehouse or their provider.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to