General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User faz1964
(learned) Tue 09-Apr-13 09:09:02
Print Post

Problematic Line,To Leave BE Or Not?

[link to this post]

Hi

My address at LS10 4SQ is connected directly to the Hunslet exchange (MYHLT) (No cabinet).

The area has recently enabled Fibre with the exception of my estate due to the direct connections to the exchange.

Both BT and BE have been unable to cure the fact that when the phone rings our broadband cuts out and when it rains we have a noisy line.

With BT I was lucky to get 1.5 Mbps, but get 2,5 Mbps with BE.

As I am out of contract with BE I have my MAC code and am thinking of switching to Plusnet due to the pending switch to $ky and Plusnet's 1/2 price offer+ TCB.

Would the service I receive with Plusnet be detremental to that of BE. I do not want my line to slow anymore as I have to heavy users of Xbox live, smart phones and PC's connected?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 09:53:48
Print Post

Re: Problematic Line,To Leave BE Or Not?

[re: faz1964] [link to this post]

That sounds as though the problem was causing the BT Wholesale DLM to raise your noise margin, giving you a lower speed.

If that was the case then the same would happen on Plusnet frown. (You probably know Be doesn't use BT Wholesale, so this doesn't happen with them).

What you very probably would find with Plusnet is that once you get hold of one of the excellent Digital Care team present a lot on the Community Forums and quite a lot here, is that you would get what sounds like a HR (High Resistance) Fault fixed. First line support that you would need to go to first may spot it, or they may struggle.

You might find given my possible diagnosis that Be could get it seen to, but I don't know. You'd think they would have recognised it already. It might be worth trying that first, then move afterwards.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Apr-13 10:03:16)

Standard User faz1964
(learned) Tue 09-Apr-13 11:32:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If as you say Plusnet use the same DLM system as BT I won't touch them,

Would I be better staying with BE, soon to be $ky or is there another alternative?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Apr-13 12:20:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You might find given my possible diagnosis that Be could get it seen to, but I don't know. You'd think they would have recognised it already. It might be worth trying that first, then move afterwards.

Bob, as you probably know the PN offer ends 7th May for BB and phone deals (not sure about BB only) Be might have to "pull their fingers" out to get anything done about the line fault before then especially if it requires a SFI visit?

Perhaps the OP could go for a PN deal on 21CN WBC and with a bit of luck the DSL drops when the phone rings may be cured and the noisy line, if it persists, could be dealt with by reporting a voice fault?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Apr-13 12:27:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by faz1964:
If as you say Plusnet use the same DLM system as BT I won't touch them,

Would I be better staying with BE, soon to be $ky or is there another alternative?

Plenty of choices for partial LLU (SMPF) on your exchange, e.g. C&W and TTB kit, if you want to go down that route. Resellers such a vicaciti, xilo/uno,etc. might have something suitable but it would certainly be more expensive that the current PN deals.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 12:42:18
Print Post

I doubt if Sky will get the issue fixed ewither, and IIRC they typically run slightly slower than Be anyway. (Noise margin setting of 7dB).

Which reminds me, what noise margin setting are you on with Be? Standard 6dB or gaming 3dB?

You really ought to get that fault fixed, and I've suggested what is very probably the cause. ISPs are notoriously bad at getting Openreach even to think of that, and as it requires an engineer trained to find them it just doesn't happen.

AAISP on a monthly contract are your best bet for fault fixing, but pricey for many usage patterns.

Have a read of this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User faz1964
(regular) Tue 09-Apr-13 13:34:00
Print Post

Hi Roberto

We are on gaming mode.

What is IIRC?

Thanks for the AAISP link they are interesting. Would my speed drop if I went with them as I am prepared to pay a premium for a while just to get the problem resolved?

Thanks
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Apr-13 14:06:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by faz1964:
Hi Roberto

We are on gaming mode.

What is IIRC?

Thanks for the AAISP link they are interesting. Would my speed drop if I went with them as I am prepared to pay a premium for a while just to get the problem resolved?

Thanks

I would take AAISP up on their offer of taking on your existing fault and getting it fixed within the 1st month or if they can't it maybe be free, details are on their web site ,
Stay on the LLU they have a 02 wholeasle product, which is basically the same as what you have now, both are 02 llu so the physical connection remains the same and the useage cap is higher than the BTwholesale stuff, migration i think is a lot cheaper too if you are already connected to o2 llu kit, because bt openreach are not required
If they are successful in getting to the underlying cause,and Openreach are able to help (if interference from a 3rd party ) then you could move to any isp,
One note on the BTwholesale 20-21cn products I'm more or less positive that ISP's can now manually configure line profiles , and disable DLM to make it possible for fastpath(Which BE call gaming mode) to be always on , Not sure if the bigger isp's would offer to do this, or even be aware that it can be done ,But the smaller ISP's can and do

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 09-Apr-13 14:09:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 14:39:30
Print Post

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

The question of the speed drop to what happened before you went to Be is unknown until you try.

The page I linked you to at AAISP has been there for years and several people on these forums have gone to them because of it, even when their prices were higher. They definitely do have a good reputation for fault resolution, but I have no personal experience f them.

IIRC tongue they've only had one fail-to-fix in the years I've been here.

Standard User faz1964
(regular) Tue 09-Apr-13 14:42:22
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Right I think I'm going to go for them, but am not sure which options I should be selecting to stay on O2 LLU etc

Could you please advise?

Many thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to