General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pye
(newbie) Tue 09-Apr-13 17:17:49
Print Post

Moving home which ISP would be best?

[link to this post]

I am about to move home imminently and really have no idea who I should use as my next broadband provider. This will be my new Exchange and my new address is showing a provisional 3.5Mbps, which is way better than what I currently get, and I will be about 1.3 miles from the exchange.

Currently I have Orange as my provider and if their Tech Help actually helped, and could fix things without making you fight tooth and nail every step of the way, I would stay with them without hesitation. However being told repeatedly that 0.3Mbps is "within range" and "more than ok" when you're used to having 2Mbps on your line is not something I want to battle through again and again.

The kids use the net mainly for gaming, they don't really stream films but thats probably because we can't right now.

Any help really would be appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 17:57:20
Print Post

Re: Moving home which ISP would be best?

[re: Pye] [link to this post]

Here I go again tongue. Flavour of the last two years for me has been and still is Plusnet.

Unfortunately you will be in a "Market 1" area, which means the obvious Plusnet prices don't apply. So they don't cane the other non-LLU ISPs as much as they do on Markets 2 and 3, but their products are still a pretty good deal.

Market 1 prices aren't easily found without going into the ordering process, which isn't something most people including myself would want to do. So have a look at the product blurb on the main website then take a look at the "outside low cost area" pricing on this page.

I don't think the Essentials 10GB package will do for you, with the two children, but it may in view of the unlimited overnight allowance. If it does appeal, take a look at the speed restrictions on this page. You will see there as well that those restrictions don't apply to the Unlimited package.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-13 19:24:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Another 50p off your bill? smile

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 21:37:00
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Maybe, maybe not.

Would such considerations affect your probity? If so, I'm surprised at you. If not, why seek to impugn mine?

I have not mentioned the Plusnet referral scheme to the poster on these forums, nor PM'ed him about it. Thank you for drawing his attention to it, so that if he does accept my advice he may ask me for the relevant details. It would be a shame for it not to go to anyone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to