General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User uzairzaidi
(newbie) Tue 16-Apr-13 19:10:05
Print Post

Liverpool City Centre ISP

[link to this post]

Hi,

I recently moved up to Liverpool from London due to business and made the switch from Virgin Media to BT. I was shocked to realize that my apartment in the City Centre did not have Fibre Optic available and therefore had to get a DSL connection from BT.

The issue that I'm having is that during the evenings I love playing games online such as Counter Strike Global Offensive and the latency over here in Liverpool is absolutely terrible. I now get 50ms on server's where I was getting 10ms when on Virgin Media back in London. On top of that the connection spikes like mad making it almost unplayable when you're trying to play a little competitvely.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to how I could improve my connection or advise on what ISP I could look at. I tried staying with Virgin but they themselves are using BT lines to give me DSL. Any idea as to when I will get Fibre Optic in my area and does a fibre optic connection bring my ping times lower or am I stuck with higher ping times due to the city im in.

My post code is L1 5EL.

Regards,
Uzair
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 19:28:15
Print Post

Re: Liverpool City Centre ISP

[re: uzairzaidi] [link to this post]

Sounds like BT have your connection interleaved (DLM ) As for being able to do anything to improve lower the latency, It is possible to have DLM disabled and fastpath enabled, But how successful you would be at getting them to do that for you i wouldn't like to say, But now that you are up north you i doubt are going to see pings as low, but 13-20ms should be possible to some uk servers

openreach where & when
or enter your address in this checker will tell you about FTTC/H availability

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 16-Apr-13 19:34:39)

Standard User uzairzaidi
(newbie) Tue 16-Apr-13 20:43:21
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

WBC FTTC Up to 72.3 Up to 20 -- 31-Mar-14

I guess that's a year away so no hope for that.

How do I get DLM disabled and fastpath enabled?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 22:01:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by uzairzaidi:

I guess that's a year away so no hope for that.

How do I get DLM disabled and fastpath enabled?
By requesting this from your isp.The problem that you may find is that their tech support are a tad usless and probably won't know what fastpath is, failing that they will give you duff info, good luck

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Tue 16-Apr-13 22:13:24
Print Post

If you only recently moved then its highly probable that you have a fair amount of contract remaining. Other than buying it out the only other option would be to get a second line put in and go with an LLU ISP that isn't dependent on the BT infrastructure. I use BE unlimited and they have been fantastic for the last 7 years (including a house move)

As a gamer myself, latency and connection reliability are a must and I usually ping around 14ms to London based servers. I'm In north Manchester.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442

Edited by kamelion (Tue 16-Apr-13 22:13:56)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 22:36:06
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kamelion:
If you only recently moved then its highly probable that you have a fair amount of contract remaining. Other than buying it out the only other option would be to get a second line put in and go with an LLU ISP that isn't dependent on the BT infrastructure. I use BE unlimited and they have been fantastic for the last 7 years (including a house move)

As a gamer myself, latency and connection reliability are a must and I usually ping around 14ms to London based servers. I'm In north Manchester.
If the OP was to consider BE they probably would be better off choosing one of the smaller ISP's who re sell the o2 wholesale instead given that sky are taking over ,the options for fast path ect may disapear from the retail side, plus there a few reports of higher latency following them being migrated onto the so called new network,

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 16-Apr-13 22:37:47)

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Tue 16-Apr-13 23:19:41
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Speculation. I wasn't suggesting he does sign up to BE , I was using that as an example

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 17-Apr-13 00:54:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by uzairzaidi:
A few months ago they stopped giving expected dates because of all the complaints they got when some of them slipped. Some slipped many times, and it always happened within the last few days. You can understand why people got upset.

So now they give that date to all except ones that really are likely to be within the next couple of weeks. It's the scheduled completion date of the commercial rollout. So meaningless really frown. Yours could be any time between now and then.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to