General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mike_masters
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 13:53:13
Print Post

Leaving Talktalk Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi

My 18 month contract with talktalk is coming to an end and I would like some recommendations about which ISP I should move to, I have talktalk fibre which gets me around 30mbps connection but suffer from traffic shaping every evening and poor customer service when things go wrong. My priorities are no traffic shaping, fast and also reliable. no long term contract and good customer service are desirable but not essential. In terms of cost im not that fussed, im prepared to pay good money for a good service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Apr-13 14:38:39
Print Post

Re: Leaving Talktalk Fibre

[re: mike_masters] [link to this post]

Shortest contract will be 12 months.

Does it have to be unlimited?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 15:45:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

unlimited isnt mandatory, i could live with 50/100gb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Apr-13 16:56:38
Print Post

Maybe IDNet http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/idnet/package/1245...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Wize_
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 17:14:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Never thought I'd say this but *gulp* Sky fibre has been very good for me over the past month. I moved over from BT Infinity in March and the whole process was easy, and the Sky "switch squad" didn't even need a MAC code from me (despite the fact that I got one from BT anyway).

The most noticeable difference using Sky is their routing, and throughput of P2P application at peak times. My line was capped back down to 40Mbps (because of the Sky product I went for), and this seems to have completely turned off DLM interleaving. My pings to bbc.co.uk went from 31ms on BT to 7ms on Sky. Whereas BT would route me through Gloucester or even Preston and then back to my hometown (London), Sky seems to have fewer hops through Easynet, and they're more direct. I haven't been throttled once and things seem as stable as they were on BT Infinity for 18 months - but with a much lower latency.
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 17:34:36
Print Post

[re: Wize_] [link to this post]

I am a sky customer already, however the fibre pro from idnet also looks pretty good.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 28-Apr-13 17:42:47
Print Post

With the money you're saving on TT you could use a VPN to bypass any traffic shaping. If it ain't broke...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 17:45:40
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I tried that for awhile with HMA but lost about half of my speed. talktalk have been really poor with me at customer service, ive gone weeks without fibre when it goes down a few times.
Standard User CiscoGuyUK
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 17:49:45
Print Post

I can recommend Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro, I've had it for about 11 months and there hasn't been any slow downs, I'm not sure if it would been the same in London though. I get full 80/20 sync.

Here are some speed tests:
http://speedtest.net/result/2665266279.png
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13671...

I also sometimes use a VPN (on my router), it's the OpenVPN type and it adds only about 1ms of ping and loses about a 'meg' or 2 (because lzo compression is used I suspect, not because they don't have enough bandwidth) of speed if using the London VPN, it's very good.

Edited by CiscoGuyUK (Sun 28-Apr-13 18:40:55)

(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 18:44:20
Print Post

[re: CiscoGuyUK] [link to this post]

out of interest, is it a personal VPN server or a service you offer? im thinking about doing this.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to