General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjdean
(learned) Sat 04-May-13 10:28:41
Print Post

New ISP

[link to this post]

Hi guys, Im looking for a new ISP after BeThere have been taken over by Sky.

Not that Im phased by Sky, their product seems competitively priced with great reviews.

But, I am not a consumer, Im not a genre, or category, Im not a statistic or group, Im an individual. Yes, we are all individuals.

So, Im after:

BeThere by another name:

Static IP (dynamically assigned static is OK too)
Unlimited (well Im not technically bothered by unlimited, 30 Gig should be fine - I just don't like having restrictions if I do need to go over that)
Ideally no traffic shaping

I don't live in a FTTC area despite living in the second city. To be honest, I can't even see any green cabinets around here, closest one is on another road about 500 yards away, so I doubt my ability to even get Fibre at the moment with our overhead cables. I've even been round the block, and I can't see any green boxes. Odd.

I see Zen get consistent reviews, but Im not too sure about these graphs, because they rate Virgin quite highly! When I had it plugged into my Smoothwall, the service kept going down and there would be regular slow downs and other problems. Im surprised more people don't have a problem with them.

I would consider moving back to PlusNet, again, Im not totally bothered about their "unlimited" package, but I would be more interested in getting unfiltered, you know, if I could pay £25 a month, for say 30 Gig and be able to download what I want when I want it.

Several years ago, bandwidth was available, because I could download websites and other information. But download an iTunes song, and it was throttled out of existence despite me being comfortable in usage limits. As soon as the clock ticked over to off peak, I got my download. So you can't say everybody logs off the internet at that point.

I sort of empathise with traffic shaping, but not in the way it was done by PlusNet a few years ago. Things may be different, and it certainly looks like the best of the bunch right now.

So again:

Static IP (or dynamically assigned static)
30 Gig min, preferably unlimited
Unfiltered (as good as, some filtering or contention is acceptable)
FTTC supplier for when I finally get FTTC (unless it's Virgin cable)
Some Business Use required for working from home

Simon
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 04-May-13 10:38:47
Print Post

Re: New ISP

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

Goscomb.

A premium isp as good as AAISP but without the extortionate prices. They're also a BE reseller but not sure if they'll continue selling BE services after the $ky takoover. Well worth giving them a call...they're pretty much open 24/7 smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-May-13 12:19:03
Print Post

Give Sky a go. It's not a new contract. Test the water for a little while. Move if necessary.

It doesn't tick all of the boxes such as static IP however I have not had a new IP for months on end before. The IPs are quite sticky and if you leave the router on it's pretty much sorted. Obviously not perfect.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 04-May-13 12:19:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-May-13 12:41:39
Print Post

Obviously PN; it ticks all your boxes and has good prices.

They have no traffic shaping other than sensibly between all the users on the same connection. It is totally diff from what you experienced years ago. They have no peak times, only prioritisation of traffic streams.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 04-May-13 12:48:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

True on "Unlimited". Not quite so on Essentials, particularly on ADSL2+.

Linky.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-May-13 16:59:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Glad I got that right smile

Meant "Unlimited" as OP asked for unlimited.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 04-May-13 18:50:54
Print Post

I was thinking of Im not totally bothered about their "unlimited" package, but I would be more interested in getting unfiltered, you know, if I could pay £25 a month, for say 30 Gig and be able to download what I want when I want it" when I replied, I forgot the more definite statement at the end smile. Then I forgot it wasn't FTTC so had to be unlimited to get 30GB.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 04-May-13 18:52:14)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-May-13 19:12:11
Print Post

I am sometimes tempted to recommend EE Fibre Unlimited but I refrain cuz:
  • Price: Is nearly as cheap as PN with discounts
  • Static IP: Not available
  • Throttling: On P2P at Peak
  • Phone: No choice of having phone with another provider
  • Awful Support: Only a no-no if you can't fend for yourself

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 04-May-13 19:26:25)

Standard User sjdean
(learned) Sat 04-May-13 19:49:16
Print Post

I don't mind prioritisation as such. Yes, we'd all rather have faster web than iTunes downloads, but being throttled out of iTunes song downloads, where a six meg song would take an hour or more until a certain time was awful.

If their filtering has changed, I would be quite happy to go with PlusNet based on price alone.
Standard User sjdean
(learned) Sat 04-May-13 19:54:39
Print Post

As long as the prioritisation isn't too obtrusive, and it doesn't sound like it is, that might be quite acceptable going for unlimited.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to