General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davetel
(newbie) Tue 07-May-13 22:07:14
Print Post

Possibly leaving o2, but want to stay on ADSL2

[link to this post]

Another one contemplating leaving o2, have been with them from Nov 2007 at their startup. I am out of contract (by 4.5yrs lol) and concerned Sky may force me into a contract when they fully take over. Sky will honour existing contracts till they end, but I can get no info from o2 or Sky as to what will happen for those out of contract like me.

So contenders are Plusnet (pricewise) or a reseller like Aquiss or Vivaciti (would be on o2 wholesale). Plusnet would be 1st choice however, they state that if estimates of speed are below 4meg they will put you on the upto 6meg (the old BT max ADSL1). My speed estimates are 1- 3 meg average 2.
Fluctuates over the years between 5600 and 5900 saw 61?? once for 19 days actual Bandwidth. Here are my stats as of now:

Uptime: 4 days, 4:29:36
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,176 / 6,230
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 969 / 5,711
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 54.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 5.5

Yes a long line 4.1km actual, but all underground. used to get 4600-4800 on the old ADSL1. So having spoken a few times with PN who would not budge what they would put me on due to what BTW official figures show, have plenty of sceenshots over the years, so how could I persuade them to put me on ADSL2? Would consider resellers but price is double.

Interesting the DSL type is 992.1 used to be 992.5, this changed in 2011, o2 said it is an "ADSL spectrum profile" for line stability, why It changed after a 14 day uptime o2 could not say at the time.

Any thoughts. Thanks
ps. landline is with BT.

Edited by davetel (Tue 07-May-13 22:10:29)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 07-May-13 22:26:40
Print Post

Re: Possibly leaving o2, but want to stay on ADSL2

[re: davetel] [link to this post]

I think you are actually in a contract, just outside the minimum term. So if Sky materially change the contract to your detriment you are free to leave. The question of them forcing you into a new contract won't arise - it would have to be with your agreement.

You say you want to stay on ADSL2, but you aren't on it - you're on g.dmt (ADSL1).

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-May-13 22:31:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by davetel:
Plusnet would be 1st choice however, they state that if estimates of speed are below 4meg they will put you on the upto 6meg (the old BT max ADSL1). My speed estimates are 1- 3 meg average 2.
Fluctuates over the years between 5600 and 5900 saw 61?? once for 19 days actual Bandwidth. Here are my stats as of now:

Uptime: 4 days, 4:29:36
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,176 / 6,230
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 969 / 5,711
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 54.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 5.5

Yes a long line 4.1km actual, but all underground. used to get 4600-4800 on the old ADSL1. So having spoken a few times with PN who would not budge what they would put me on due to what BTW official figures show, have plenty of sceenshots over the years, so how could I persuade them to put me on ADSL2? Would consider resellers but price is double.

Interesting the DSL type is 992.1 used to be 992.5, this changed in 2011, o2 said it is an "ADSL spectrum profile" for line stability, why It changed after a 14 day uptime o2 could not say at the time.

Any thoughts. Thanks
ps. landline is with BT.
ADSL 1 is ds capped at 8mbps (8198kbps) not 6mbps DSL type is 992.1 which is adsl 1 Longer lines can sometime benefit from adsl G.992.1 Because of the frequencies it uses ,as for the upstream sync speed I'm not too sure what the caps are on WBC 21CN products
If you are outside the min 12mths term then you can leave without penalty at any time, by requesting a MAC code and observing the 7day notice period before giving the MAC to the new ISP

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 07-May-13 22:36:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-May-13 22:35:34
Print Post

Don't move. It's hassle and it's not worth it.

Sky is one of the best out there.

You are in contract, you just have no minimum term. You are always in a contract.
Your contract will go over to sky.

This means that yes sky will takeover. You will be free to leave sky whenever.
You will not be forced into another year or anything.

Sky is truly unlimited. No traffic shaping on peer to peer etc. It's really decent.
Stay where you are. Test the water. If you don't like it (which you will do) you can leave whenever.
Standard User davetel
(newbie) Tue 07-May-13 22:58:21
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I think you are actually in a contract, just outside the minimum term. So if Sky materially change the contract to your detriment you are free to leave. The question of them forcing you into a new contract won't arise - it would have to be with your agreement.

Not sure of the legal bit but o2 said it rolling, from my o2 account:
Current package: O2 Home Broadband Standard
You're not in contract.

You get a download speed of around 2.0 meg.

Other customers with lines like yours get between 1.0 meg and 4.0 meg.

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You say you want to stay on ADSL2, but you aren't on it - you're on g.dmt (ADSL1).
Thatís what I thought so I just rang them, it is ADSL1 but now they call it ďADSL Profile up to 8megĒ, so now it poses another question how is it possible to get my sync when on BT max was av of 4700. Although it was tech they said I 'm not in any form of contract.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-May-13 23:07:34
Print Post

Although it was tech they said I 'm not in any form of contract.

You are getting confused here.

Basically you are not in a minimum term contract. This means that you can leave whenever. You are not still in the 12 month tie in.

You still have to abide to o2s contract. E.g. you cannot access illegal material on your o2 broadband etc. You are still in this contract! You can leave whenever but to use the service you must be within o2's T&C

Sky are taking over existing o2 customers broadband...
So you will not be in a minimum term contract with Sky. You can leave whenever. You will not be in another 12 month tie in...

HOWEVER you will have to abide to Skys contract / T&C. So you cannot access illegal material etc. You can leave whenever.

When Sky say they are moving over existing contracts they just mean they are taking over all o2 customers connections on the same terms as now.

So if you are free to leave on o2 you are free to leave when Sky takeover.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 07-May-13 23:08:51)

Standard User davetel
(newbie) Tue 07-May-13 23:13:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Although it was tech they said I 'm not in any form of contract.

You are getting confused here. ..............

When Sky say they are moving over existing contracts they just mean they are taking over all o2 customers connections on the same terms as now.

So if you are free to leave on o2 you are free to leave when Sky takeover.

Now why could'nt o2 explain it that clearly, said I'm not that good on legal, thanks makes me feel a bit better. Off to bed now.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-May-13 23:50:18
Print Post

Are we sure that the Sky packages it seems O2/Be customers will be asked to move to later will not have a minimum term? Like many "upgrades" do even within an ISP's product range.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User davetel
(newbie) Wed 08-May-13 08:33:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are we sure that the Sky packages it seems O2/Be customers will be asked to move to later will not have a minimum term? Like many "upgrades" do even within an ISP's product range.

No one seems sure.

Main concern for me is maintaining a thruput of around 5000. Still can't see how is it possible to get my sync on ADSL1 which I would love to keep with whoever, and convincing any ISP, unless its due to o2's euipment and not being on BTmax. Even o2 the few times I have needed tech always say thats extraordinary.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 08-May-13 09:08:49
Print Post

Plusnet would be 1st choice however, they state that if estimates of speed are below 4meg they will put you on the upto 6meg (the old BT max ADSL1).

That can easily be sorted for you wink If you choose to go with us, just drop me a PM with your username and I'll get one of the team here to make sure the order goes through on ADSL2 / +

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to