General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Boon147
(newbie) Tue 14-May-13 16:20:49
Print Post

Orange / EE to TalkTalk?

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,

Last year I signed up to a cheap Orange deal (as they are my mobile provider too) and all in i get unlimited BB and Calls for around £20. The BB has been top, and very stable, but I quickly realised that i get absolutely hammered for speed during peak times. I wouldnt usually mind this, but my initial speed is dire anyway @ a steady 2.2 - 2.5 Mbps

I have read around and found that this is due to the fact that Orange / EE dont have their own equipemt at my local exchange. I have been on to Sam Knows and it seems that the only equipment providers at my local exchange are BT, O2 / BE, Sky / Easynet, and TalkTalk. Can anyone confirm if my above findings are correct? And also if my speed issue is in fact related to Orange / EE renting their equipment?

I do understand that TalkTalk may also reduce my speed at peak times (depending on their policy) but i doubt it would be so severe.

Exchange Name: Birstall
Exchange Postcode: LE4 3AL

Cheers,

Paul
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-May-13 16:27:37
Print Post

Re: Orange / EE to TalkTalk?

[re: Boon147] [link to this post]

The issue is not down to them renting equipment. It is down to them not renting enough...

It doesn't matter to a great extent that they don't have their own equipment in the exchange, most ISPs don't. What matters is that they probably skimp on the amount of network connectivity that they buy off of BT so you are sharing the available network with more people than you would be if you were paying for a better quality service.

When paying so little the provider has to buy less to make it economical. If you go to a provider that charges more they have more money to be able to buy the backhaul and therefore can provide a better service.

You unfortunately get what you pay for.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-May-13 19:08:52
Print Post

The "BT" at your exchange is of course BT Wholesale. That is what EE/Orange are using there as they don't have their own kit. They just don't rent enough throughput capacity.

BT Wholesale is what nearly every ISP uses.

You could get Plusnet Unlimited there, see this page. The included calls are just Weekends. Evening and Weekends is £1.50. Anytime is £5. They do rent enough throughput capacity.

There's a Line Rental saver if you can pay the year up front, £131.88 equivalent to £10.99pm. No calls at all included but the E & W and Anytime are the same price as above.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-May-13 14:12:57
Print Post

Birstall exchange has 21CN WBC 20 Mbps service and only get 2.2 Mbps speed you must be on a very long line. What are your router stats?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMBIRSS

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Boon147
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 20:32:52
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hi,

Sync speed is about 4mbps, but actual throughput is about 2.2. I've always had this speed even when I used to be with bt. I used to have an external nte5 which they have now bypassed due to an old fault on my line, so I now have an adsl (2000?) faceplate.

Below are stats from my TD-W8970 following a reboot:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 2944
Max Rate (Kbps) 1012 3712
SNR Margin (dB). 21 15.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 29 45.9
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

According to google maps, am 1.3 miles from exchange. My house is 2.5 years old (don't know if this makes a difference)

Regards,

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-May-13 20:38:12
Print Post

Sorry to tell you but your sync speed is actually the 2944 figure

The Max rate is what the modem thinks it could achieve if your target noise margin was lower.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php suggests the following results
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php?par...

ie. that your connection is under performing, and it might not all be down to the target noise margin. So time to unplug faceplate and check at the test socket etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Boon147
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 21:11:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Faceplate off and only router connected:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 2944
Max Rate (Kbps) 1012 3712
SNR Margin (dB) 21 15.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 29 45.9
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Regards,

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-May-13 21:15:50
Print Post

So down to pestering ISP to get the target noise margin lowered to give you some more speed, and edge towards the 4Meg area

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Boon147
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 21:54:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Apologies, the old info was still in my clipboard.

Correct information for test socket below:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 4128
Max Rate (Kbps) 1024 4928
SNR Margin (dB) 21 14.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 28 44.9
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Any better?

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-May-13 23:50:02
Print Post

Suggests a dirty contact or failing faceplate as speeds have improved.

You now have enough spare margin that even 5 Mbps might be possible with some pestering of the ISP.

A new faceplate may be the way to go, and it might be possible the speeds continue to improve every few weeks if the line becomes more stable.

Faceplates do sometimes fail, bad solder joints or capacitors that are failing. Or there is some funky extension wiring on the faceplate that has been wired wrong, e.g. a phone extension running off of the ADSL connectors.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to