General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tonytiger07
(newbie) Tue 04-Jun-13 22:03:06
Print Post

Contemplating leaving ADSL24 - Alternatives?

[link to this post]

I've been with ADSL24 for a number of years, and mostly it's been very good for what I've needed. However, there have been a couple of unplanned email outages recently, the latest on Friday, resulting in mail being lost again which I'm not too happy about. I understand that failures happen from time to time, but I'd least expect a regular status update to say what's going on and also when I phone tech support on the weekend I don't want to be told "it's not my department, there's nobody that knows what's going on".
I'm also aware that ADSL24 have been sold (again?) recently and I'm not sure if that's part of the problem.

So if I move, I'm looking for standalone broadband on a BT phone line. I currently have a 10GB peak allowance (unlimited off-peak), but more wouldn't hurt - don't want less. I work from home from time to time over VPN.
I don't do online gaming. Some streaming, not that much. Multiple email accounts and webspace - but I assume that's standard with most ISPs.

Above all, I want stability and reliability over speed with a robust email service, and competent, UK based tech support who know what's going on out of hours when there are problems.

And generally the fewer restrictions the better.

Can anybody make some suggestions please, preferably based on experience? Cheers.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jun-13 22:36:56
Print Post

Re: Contemplating leaving ADSL24 - Alternatives?

[re: tonytiger07] [link to this post]

You haven't said what your budget is but I'm with Eclipse (Home Select) and have been for ~10 years. Solidly reliable. No email problems. Not cheap though, they unfortunately have a big jump from 2GB to 50GB monthly allowance.

Support is UK, in Exeter.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Jun-13 23:22:05
Print Post

Get ISP-independent email and webspace. Never have to change your email address again when migrating. Do it now, so it's out of the way before you move.

Lite suits most people. Plus you need a domain for £6.70 every 2 years. Total equivalent to £1.53pm. Ten mailboxes with unlimited aliases.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 05-Jun-13 08:10:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Get ISP-independent email and webspace. Never have to change your email address again when migrating. Do it now, so it's out of the way before you move.

Lite suits most people. Plus you need a domain for £6.70 every 2 years. Total equivalent to £1.53pm. Ten mailboxes with unlimited aliases.

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention I do have a domain and my email addresses are through the domain - it's just I've never considered independent email/web hosting - just always used my ISP. So that's a good idea. How robust/resilient is the lite package with tsohost?
(newbie) Wed 05-Jun-13 08:13:55
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
You haven't said what your budget is but I'm with Eclipse (Home Select) and have been for ~10 years. Solidly reliable. No email problems. Not cheap though, they unfortunately have a big jump from 2GB to 50GB monthly allowance.

Support is UK, in Exeter.

Thanks. Budget, well, wouldn't want to pay more than £20 unless it was an outstanding package - ideally closer to £15. I've not read through the full details - but it looks like the 50GB allowance with eclipse is the entire monthly allowance - no unlimited off-peak - but I'll check again. I have no idea what my total monthly usage is - only that my peak usage never goes above 10GB - rarely goes above 5 in fact.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:24:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by tonytiger07:
How robust/resilient is the lite package with tsohost?
Superb. And support response is usually within a few minutes. PM follows.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to