General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User madmartyr
(regular) Mon 10-Jun-13 11:32:57
Print Post

Best ISP for running XBMC?

[link to this post]

Currently with EE but its impossible to run XBMC during peak hours due to their traffic shaping(Which EE deny)

Considering Sky or Talktalk at the moment.

Anyone got any other Ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Primus Planet Talk .....
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jun-13 12:03:16
Print Post

Re: Best ISP for running XBMC?

[re: madmartyr] [link to this post]

Sky fine, BT fine, TalkTalk a no-no.

Note that all three normally require you to have your line rental with them. (Assuming Sky and TT have LLU at your exchange - if not, avoid!).

Another possibility is PlusNet who will let you keep your line rental with Primus, assuming your sig is still correct. You'd have to pay a setup charge though if you don't take PN line rental.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User madmartyr
(member) Mon 10-Jun-13 12:05:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry Sig is out of date. I'm currently with EE and my exchange is LLU for all major BB suppliers.

EE broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 10-Jun-13 12:30:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Out of interest why not Talk Talk?

I assume the issue from the OP is just to do with streaming Video from Youtube, Iplayer etc.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Jun-13 12:48:00
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

TalkTalk have recently said that both Essentials and Plus TV will no longer have traffic management http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5866-talktalk-ess...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jun-13 15:17:00
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
Out of interest why not Talk Talk?

I assume the issue from the OP is just to do with streaming Video from Youtube, Iplayer etc.
I was forgetting what BatBoy has since posted. I still wouldn't feel too happy about their capacity provision though. BT, Sky and PN all seem to upgrade as necessary.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Jun-13 15:30:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by madmartyr:
Currently with EE but its impossible to run XBMC during peak hours due to their traffic shaping(Which EE deny)

Considering Sky or Talktalk at the moment.

Anyone got any other Ideas?

Cheers

Chris
EE/Orange on their WBC 20 Meg speed unlimited broadband service, will slow your broadband speed to lower than dial-up speed if you use BitTorrent, p2p peer-to-peer networks and newsgroups at peak times.

EE Broadband or Fibre Broadband plans with unlimited usage allowance. http://e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Ts%2...

EE/Orange Off-Net (I think meaning) out of the EE/Orange broadband network area, maximum speed of ADSL 8 Mbps down and 448Kbps up, do traffic shape your broadband connection if you are Audio streaming, Video streaming, Music downloads, Video downloads, and using BitTorrent, p2p peer-to-peer networks and newsgroups at peak times.

“Off-net” EE broadband plans with unlimited usage allowance. http://e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Ts%2...

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?C...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jun-13 16:09:12
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
maximum speed of ADSL 8 Mbps down and 448Kbps up
Not true at all Orange "Off-net" exchanges. For instance at Littlewick Green which is "Off-net" (pay extra £10 surcharge for ADSL) you can get the full WBC ADSL2+ speeds. Reason it is "Off-net" is that it was never LLU'ed by Orange altho' it is Market 3.

I've already asked OP for his exchange to see if he is affected by this, but he has so far not replied.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User madmartyr
(member) Tue 11-Jun-13 01:57:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry for the delay but I'm working nights lol. My exchange is Aberdare - Exchange code: SWAA

EE broadband
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jun-13 12:28:57
Print Post

You are not outside Orange's area, so streaming should not be throttled there.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to