General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Tue 11-Jun-13 16:14:19
Print Post

migrate to monthly contract broaband only ideas?

[link to this post]

I am being kicked off orange broadband soon. My line rental is with bt and has six month to run. So I was hoping to migrate to someone on a monthly contract to keep my options open.

So far I can got to plus.net for 9.99 a month plus 25 pounds sign up fee or 50 pounds if I want a monthly contract. No discounts for broadband only.

This is about all I have been able to find? Everyone else seems to want at least a years contract and often a landline bundled in. The few I did find were dramatically more expensive.

Am I missing anyone? Or does this just not exist? Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Jun-13 17:06:17
Print Post

Re: migrate to monthly contract broaband only ideas?

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

Vivaciti, xilo/uno, Aquiss. Should all be free to join, but monthly cost higher than PlusNet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Tue 11-Jun-13 18:34:37
Print Post

Going for the cheapest will not get you the best customer service. £50 for no tie-in would work out quite expensive per month if you were to only stay for a month or two. The six months of your outstanding line contract would make your broadband over £18 per month with a £50 fee added in. No tie-in and free to join my ISP (Freeola). Not massive allowances, but unmetered from 7.00pm till 7.00am and all weekends. Lots of freebies like free hosting and unlimited unusual Email addresses, along with superb customer service. It does not suit everyone and depends what your priorities are. I assume you are not on a Market 1 exchange.
http://freeola.com/broadband/

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Tue 11-Jun-13 18:39:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jun-13 19:20:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
I am being kicked off orange broadband soon.
Why?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Jun-13 19:39:00
Print Post

PN unlimited, BB only, no contract, Markets 2 & 3 ("low cost area") is still actually £12.49 I believe http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/low_c... frown
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Wed 12-Jun-13 14:20:53
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thank-you for replies. I had not heard of most of those ideas. Freeola looks interesting but I'm afraid I suspect I am too cheap.

You are right a monthly contract with plus.net does cost 12.50. They really are the kings of sneaky smallprint. I had not noticed.

I suspect I will just have to take 12 months and hope the cashback sites pay for the setup fee. It's annoying that I will have to wait at least 12 months until my landline and broadband contracts are in synch giving me more options. but there we go.

I am leaving orange because I have my broadband provided as part of my mobile phone contract. The phone contract ends this month and they no longer offer the deal so we will be kicked off the broadband after six years. It was never great for peak time speeds anyway.

Orange now only offers broadband with a landline bundle not standalone. I already have a long term landline contract. Even if they compensated us for cancelling our existing landline contract we would lose access to 18185 and such services which we use heavily. And frankly they are too much hard work and capricious to trust with our 30 year old number and sometimes we really need a reliable landine.

When I called up for a mac code they insisted my broadband ended in 2007. Then that it was a rolling 30 day contract which had now ended. The fact it clearly is still working and should not end till my mobile contract does is apparently impossible. No one can tell me when or if the broadband will end as they just don't seem to know? Despite the working broadband supposedly being closed they still could order me a mac code which will take a week and come in the post.

I had the idea that in the past most isp's did a standalone product and if you were migrating with your own equipment would put you on a monthly contract. But I guess those days are largely gone.

Thanks
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Jun-13 19:19:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
You are right a monthly contract with plus.net does cost 12.50. They really are the kings of sneaky smallprint. I had not noticed.

I suspect I will just have to take 12 months and hope the cashback sites pay for the setup fee. It's annoying that I will have to wait at least 12 months until my landline and broadband contracts are in synch giving me more options. but there we go.

Yes, they said that they were looking into making that extra £2.50 cost more visible, but I guess they haven't got round to doing it yet...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Jun-13 20:41:29
Print Post

The thing that would influence me is that the higher cost continues after the first 12 months. It doesn't drop to the same as the 12-month term price.

Equally well hidden, (so they aren't all bad as they hide the good stuff as well), is the reduced cost of a contracted term buyout. See the full price list, and scroll to the Early termination cost of relevant products.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 14:37:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Equally well hidden, (so they aren't all bad as they hide the good stuff as well), is the reduced cost of a contracted term buyout. See the full price list, and scroll to the Early termination cost of relevant products.

If things are not working out OK then, for example, over a 6 month period the additional cost would be £5.50 per month for early termination of a 12 months unlimited BB contract rather than the £2.50 per month extra charged on a no contract deal. But to counter that: activation would have been £25 less for a 12 month contract so that would be a £4.17 per month saving over the same example 6 months. So in fact over the example 6 months there is a net gain/saving of £1.17 per month by choosing to terminate a 12 month contract over having a no contract deal for the same period.

The arithmetic for other periods of time does get rather complex though - "plusnet We'll do you proud" LOL!

Edited by 4M2 (Thu 13-Jun-13 15:24:37)

Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Mon 01-Jul-13 15:50:53
Print Post

Thank you. It is interesting that the cancellation months are cheaper. Thanks for pointing that out.

Infuriatingly though in the week between posting this and receiving my mac code they put the price up 25% ! So I will have to pay a higher price anyway if I go with them. GRR.

I is now 12.50 a month for a twelve month contract broadband only and 14.99 for a monthly contract.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to