General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Witchbane
(newbie) Sun 23-Jun-13 14:58:17
Print Post

Which ISP when only ADSLMax available?

[link to this post]

I'm buying house in a Northumberland village which only has ADSL Max available.

I don't know what bandwidth I need as I have been renting with free access to the landladies broadband for a while so don't know my usage (obviously I download little) but am likely to do more once I have my own place.

I do need a static IP address and no port blocking as I'm in IT and run servers at home (mail, SharePoint, etc.).

I'm not sure what else I need to consider as it is nearly two years since I had my own broadband and that was Be LLU.

As I say, only ADSL Max is available where I am buying a house and I find the search on think broadband to be unsable as all it returns is ADSL2 and fibre.

Thanks for any help.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jun-13 15:37:11
Print Post

Re: Which ISP when only ADSLMax available?

[re: Witchbane] [link to this post]

Zen sounds like a sensible choice, reliable, static ip, and fine on an adslmax only link.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Jun-13 16:02:03
Print Post

Xilo also for a static IP and no traffic management - BT services: http://www.xilo.net/adsl_broadband/#home - for broadband only on a one month rolling contract.

Plusnet might be another choice on a market 1 exchange with a £5 one-off fee for a static IP - Phone and broadband, broadband only, contracted and no contract.

Will you be considering a phone and broadband package, broadband only and separate line rental, broadband on a 30 day minimum term or on a 12 month contact?

Cheapest would possibly be a Plusnet unlimited broadband and phone package on a 12 month contract.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Witchbane
(newbie) Sun 23-Jun-13 16:52:39
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I do need a telephone provider as well so would consider a package where I get both.

When I was last in the market for broadband, PlusNet had an exceedingly bad reputation. Has this changed? I was a Zen customer at one point and felt that their good reputation was undeserved and don't really want to go back to them (once bitten and all that).

I'd prefer a monthly contract so if the service sucks I have a way out but I'm not sure this is feasible.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest package.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Jun-13 17:07:57
Print Post

PlusNet allows early termination at these rates
Early termination charges for packages taken on or after 18th June 2013

Table 1.9
Monthly early termination charge

Plusnet Essentials - broadband only £7.80
Plusnet Essentials - broadband and phone £4.25
Plusnet Unlimited - broadband only £6.60
Plusnet Unlimited - broadband and phone £5.50
Those are the prices for signups after 18 June 2013, but look wonky to me. Also unclear if the phone early termination is also to be paid on the bundles - I expect so.
Table 3.6

Plusnet Weekends £4.80
Plusnet Evenings & Weekends £6.00
Plusnet Anytime £8.10
Plusnet Anytime International 300 £9.60
Plusnet Mobile £8.10
Talk Anytime £4.25
Talk Anytime International £5.25
Talk Evening & Weekends £2.25
Talk Mobile £4.25
Talk Mobile 1 £4.25

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Jun-13 19:38:57
Print Post

Hopefully other people will add some more suggestions, but if your requirement is a static IP, a one month rolling contract and price is not a critical factor then I would certainly recommend xilo - from personal experience I've had broadband reliability, no throughput slow downs and excellent customer service (however that is with partial LLU TTB and not 20CN WBC.)

You could perhaps have a line rental contract with BT and a 20CN (ADSL MAX) broadband service from xilo...
  Print Thread

Jump to