General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HornetMaX
(newbie) Mon 24-Jun-13 10:55:04
Print Post

Moving to Glasgow/Edinburgh: ISP advice

[link to this post]

Hi,
I'll be soon moving from France to Glasgow/Edinburgh area (exact address not yet known) and I need some advice for an ISP.

1 PC + 1 laptop will be sharing the connection. Usage is not heavy (occasional large download, occasional watching streaming) but lots of browsing and I do game a quite a bit online (can get as bad as 3hrs per day), so nice ping appreciated.

If simpler/worth, I'm OK to bundle the broadband with the phone.

Any advice really welcome !

MaX.

P.S.
In France my ISP was Free.fr: for 35Euros/month I got unlimited ADSL with a wifi router, a media player provided (250GB hard disk inside, RF remote, PVR fuinctions, ...) and a pair of network powerline adapters. Phone calls were free in france (landline and mobile) and to 30-50 countries in europe and around the world (US free, including mobile). If fibre is available at your flat/house, the price is ... the same ! Not sure i can find anything similar in UK smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jun-13 11:00:15
Print Post

Re: Moving to Glasgow/Edinburgh: ISP advice

[re: HornetMaX] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/bt/package/1194.html
TV/PVR/Unlimited ADSL2+, £21+voice line rental of £15.45 a month

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/talktalk/package/1...
TV/PVR/Unlimited ADSl2+ £15.50 + voice line rental £14.95 a month

For fibre you add extra cost, as you are going faster and that is something many people have moaned about in the past, i.e. when providers charge the same price for all speeds it is unfair on those who can only get the slow service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User weesteev
(newbie) Wed 17-Jul-13 22:47:06
Print Post

Vast areas of both cities also have access to Virgin Media cable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User HornetMaX
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 11:43:41
Print Post

[re: weesteev] [link to this post]

I know the exact address now (Bearsden, Glasgow Gxx 1xx).

I'll be renting the flat, potentially for a short period (e.g 6 months) and then moving elsewhere in the area. Can I still subscribe to a 12/18 months offer and then "port" it to my next address ?

What would you suggest in my case ?

Thanks,

Edited by MrSaffron (Thu 08-Aug-13 16:14:47)

Standard User sheppy
(learned) Thu 08-Aug-13 11:59:28
Print Post

You are moving into a new development in the old Canniesburn Hospital buildings, unfortunately there is no cable in these streets.

I am currently in the Bearsden area with a cable connection, i'd recommend taking an shorter adsl contract in the likely event that the next property you move into will hopefully have cable or FTTC connectivity.
Standard User HornetMaX
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 12:31:47
Print Post

[re: sheppy] [link to this post]

Thanks sheepy.

Do you mean it is not possible to subscribe to something like a 12 months BT contract and "transport" it to my next address if I change property in 6 months ?

Max.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Aug-13 12:46:56
Print Post

Most ISPs have a "Home Move" provision in their T & Cs. You should be able to find it for any ISP you are interested it.

The main difference between ISPs with this facility is that some do it "within the contract", and some require a new contract is started. (For contract, really that means "minimum term"). Occasionally there is a charge, that may be deferred - then cancelled at the end of the minimum term.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Aug-13 13:10:53
Print Post

Personally I wouldn't have posted my address. Whilst at present it may be harmless you might in a few months come on here to tell us all you are going on holiday for a fortnight - at which point anyone looking at this forum would know the flat would be empty. Might want to be careful as to that level of detail on a public forum.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Aug-13 13:26:44
Print Post

As ian72 says about posting your address. (Postcode is fairly safe)

You can edit your posts up to 12 hours afterwards. The sooner the better.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User HornetMaX
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 14:39:47
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Personally I wouldn't have posted my address. Whilst at present it may be harmless you might in a few months come on here to tell us all you are going on holiday for a fortnight - at which point anyone looking at this forum would know the flat would be empty. Might want to be careful as to that level of detail on a public forum.

Thanks for the advice. I thought the address wan not enough to locate exactly the flat in the complex. is this the case ?

In any case it's unlikely I'll come here to brag about my holidays smile

But I've removed the complete address in anyway.

MaX.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to