General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User funkydan
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-13 16:59:42
Print Post

ADSL24 or Vivaciti??

[link to this post]

Hello all.
Newbie here with first post.
I currently have my broadband supplied from BE and my land line from BT.
Due to the ongoing situation at BE i have got a MAC code from them and am looking at changing both my broadband and land line. I do not want to be tied into a 12 or 18 month contract and have narrowed my search down to ADSL24 or Vivaciti.
I have become confused as to what will happen if i sign up with either regarding LLU.
I do not want to switch to either and then further down the line if i decide to switch to a different ISP have to pay a reconnection charge because my line has been taken away from BT's equipment. I have read that some ISP's will require a BT line and will not be able take on a supply until the line is switched back to BT which is chargeable.
As you all are very knowledgeable on these subjects could someone confirm if i chose an LLU BB supply and LL supply will these still be using BT's equipment?
I am swaying towards ADSL24 because their website gives more detailed information regarding what services are offered and pricing.
I am not to far from my exchange and currently have a download speed of 10mb. It used to be 14mb so i know i can get a faster connection.
Your help will be appreciated.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Jun-13 18:22:40
Print Post

Re: ADSL24 or Vivaciti??

[re: funkydan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by funkydan:
if i chose an LLU BB supply and LL supply will these still be using BT's equipment?
There's 2 types of LLU: Full or Partial.

With Partial LLU the landline stays with BTw and you can migrate the BB easily later on using the MAC process.

With Full LLU the landline is taken over by the provider and it is not so easy to migrate in future. The only Full LLU provides are TT, Sky and C&W. You'll need to check with your proposed ISP whether they are using any of these as wholesaler.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-13 21:12:50
Print Post

Hi,
If you are looking at our broadband unlimited service then that is SMPF (partial LLU) so if you ever wanted to migrate away at a later date then you would just request a MAC. The phone line stays with your current provider.

Hope that helps.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Jun-13 21:18:32
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Or the phone line could go to you as well but not tied to the broadband?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User funkydan
(newbie) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:23:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I will call them both today to get more information.
With ADSL24 their combined broadband and land line is a minimum 12 month contract.
Thanks for your answers. They have been very helpful.
Standard User funkydan
(newbie) Fri 28-Jun-13 20:22:48
Print Post

As i had lots of questions i decided to send the same email to both of them.
Vivaciti answered most of the questions within 10 minutes. It took ADSL24 3 hours to answer but only answered a few questions. I emailed them back to request answers to the unanswered questions.
Vivaciti answered the rest of the questions. ADSL24 on the other hand sent me an email saying they were confused by my questions and to call there sales line.
Vivaciti were not confused by my questions and answered them all & I have decided to go with them.
Thanks for all your help.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Jun-13 21:17:38
Print Post

That sounds like a good test!

We do occasionally get complaints about vivaciti, as we do about all good ISPs, but the vast majority of mentions are positive. Note that the poster here using the nick vivaciti is always the boss man smile. It isn't used by his staff.

The boss of ADSL24 used to post here as well, but now very rarely, and the company has changed hands twice. I think you've made the right choice.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to