General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bigfatal
(newbie) Wed 07-Aug-13 15:30:21
Print Post

TalkTalk vs BT speed

[link to this post]

Hi. I currently have the TalkTalk broadband/phone/tv package but have the option of cancelling my contract early due to them changing the pricing. I am trying to decide whether I should switch to BT - in theory it is a very similar service at very similar prices but I also get the BT Sport channels for free.

My TalkTalk broadband package is advertised at 14Mb with 6-14 estimated speeds. However, I currently get 20-24Mb so not sure what the deal is there.

The BT broadband in my area is similarly advertised at 16 Mb. I like havinf fast broadband and dont want to risk a slow down.

Is this a likely thing to happen? Should I just stick happily with my 24Mb talktalk and get my footie fix elsewhere? Or can I safely assuem that if talktalk can deliver 24Mb then so will BT?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Aug-13 16:25:01
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk vs BT speed

[re: bigfatal] [link to this post]

The line should run at very similar speeds if BT is estimating speeds above 8 Mbps, i.e. they are offering ADSL2+ to you

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Aug-13 20:52:58
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk vs BT speed

[re: bigfatal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigfatal:
The BT broadband in my area is similarly advertised at 16 Mb.
That is simply ASA advertising guidelines: at least 10% of users must get at least advertised speed. The technology is still the same and can go up to 24 Meg for those close enuf to exchange as you are.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to