General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User optisana
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-13 12:23:31
Print Post

Searching for ISP without traffic shaping

[link to this post]

I'm moving into a flat with some friends. I'm looking for an ISP which meets the following criteria:

* No traffic shaping. No speed reduction for p2p, BT, streaming video or nntp at any time of day

* Reasonable data allowance. This is for four people so ideally we would like a cap above 400GiB per month

Here are the line stats:

http://i.imgur.com/UhmcL8I.png

Speed is less important than getting rid of traffic shaping and having a reasonable price, so long as it's above 8Mb or so

I think we're also in a fiber serviced area, but have no experience at all with those kind of connections

Very grateful for any advice, cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Aug-13 13:22:55
Print Post

Re: Searching for ISP without traffic shaping

[re: optisana] [link to this post]

BT, Sky and TalkTalk

Unlimited is a lot easier to find these days

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User optisana
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-13 14:56:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply

I find it difficult choosing between them because online reviews always seem to be horror stories of not getting proper service for 8 months

How should I choose between them, other than price?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Aug-13 17:03:39
Print Post

Online reviews of almost anything are full of horror stories, as we all like to complain.

Things like install problems can happen with any of the providers, there is a random element there.

As for which, price is a big factor and other things like is free WiFi worth having, is telephone support any good? e.g. Sky is better than TalkTalk in that respect.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User optisana
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-13 19:41:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again!

One last question:

currently, the flat gets line rental from BT and adsl from Virgin.

After we're signed up with the new provider, will we have to manually cancel the existing service with those companies, or will it happen automatically?

Thank you!
Standard User ferretuk
(regular) Thu 29-Aug-13 19:53:26
Print Post

You'll need to request a MAC from Virgin and the ADSL should cancel automatically. Depending on which ISP you go with determines whether your line needs to move from BT but this should also cancel the service if you do move.

Personally I'd add Plusnet into the mix as well...
Standard User optisana
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-13 20:05:56
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

We're thinking of going with sky so will need to switch both the ADSL and the line rental

Sky claims that we don't need to ask Virgin for a MAC, should I believe them?

link
Standard User ferretuk
(regular) Thu 29-Aug-13 20:11:46
Print Post

My error

If you go to Sky the line migrates away from BT so the Virgin ADSL will cease. You will get charged around £30 by Virgin as they pass on the ADSL cease fee that they are charged by BT Openreach.
Standard User optisana
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-13 20:18:04
Print Post

Just to confirm, should I definitely not ask for a MAC code first? Will it do any harm if I do?

I've been googling around and there's loads of conflicting advice about this wrt Sky. Some people seem to be saying that if you don't ask for a MAC and you start the order and later it turns out you do need one, you can be stuck without broadband for weeks (!)

e.g. this post
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-Aug-13 21:44:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
If you go to Sky the line migrates away from BT so the Virgin ADSL will cease. You will get charged around £30 by Virgin as they pass on the ADSL cease fee that they are charged by BT Openreach.
If Sky follows the correct procedure, which I believe they do, Openreach do not raise an ADSL cease fee on VM and the OP should not be charged it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to