General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-13 19:25:56
Print Post

Any Point in Changing Provider... or A New Router

[link to this post]

Hi

I get my broadband from Virgin Media through DSL. Recently our connection has become very sporadic, it will be fine for a time then keep dropping.

Is there any point in changing our provider, as I assume, they all use the same hardware.

Would I notice any difference if I replaced the Router (Netgear DGN 1000), and which should I consider?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Oct-13 09:29:02
Print Post

Re: Any Point in Changing Provider... or A New Router

[re: macshimi] [link to this post]

Depends on what the drops are. Have looked at router and is it confirming a drop of adsl?

Line will be same but exchange hardware can be different depending on which exchange you are on

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-13 12:29:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron

No, I don't think the router is showing that; can you explain how I check, as I just look at the lights? I have done the usual unplugging, resetting and renaming the router; none help.

I think my exchange is Western (WSWES) where the providers are BT Wholesale, O2, Sky, TalkTalk.

My provider in Virgin Media; do you think a move to BT would improve reliablity etc.

My download speeds are about 10.5MB. That isn't that important to me as we mainly use the download for watching Iplayer, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sat 19-Oct-13 12:51:51
Print Post

Check your Phone Line and local/internal wiring first, also looking for sources of interference.

If that is faulty, it will remain so no matter which modem/router and/or ISP you use, including any later change to FTTC.

Although you can do the following tests at any time, in your case you should also try to it when you are having problems - it may be rain or wind disturbing your PHONE line, particularly if it is Overhead from Poles; but Udrground may be upset by rainwater etc accumulating in the various chambers, generally set into footpaths etc.

Other problems can arise at the various joints in the wiring, as it makes its way back to the exchange..

Remove the present connection/s from the Network Terminating Equipment, ie the box, where your phone line enters your house.

If it is the latest type, remove the Faceplate with two outlets on it, Phone and ADSL, to expose the single Test Socket.

If the earlier type with a single outlet only, connect use that.

Either way, your internal house wiring should now be totally disconnected, any device within your house should NOT work, eg no Dialling Tone etc.

If any device DOES work, then your internal wiring is not to normal standards.

Connect (preferably a corded/ancient) phone to the NTE Socket.

You should hear the Dialling Tone.

Dial 17070 - you will hear various options, if this Test Facility is available on Virgin DSL.

Listen particularly for the "Quiet Line", which is usually Option 2 - but may be another such as Option 4 on SKY.

The line should go quiet, apart from occasional announcements.

Listen carefully for continuous tones (there may be a very quiet hum), random or continuous noises, tones similar to dialling tones, "snap, crackle and pop" etc.

Repeat several times.

If you hear anything untoward, report it as a PHONE Fault to your PHONE provider - do NOT mention Broadband.

If your line "passed" the Quiet Test as above, re-try, first with a typical Broadband Splitter or dongle, having two outlets on it. Reconnect the corded phone ONLY

If you now hear noise, the Splitter is faulty - try with another one.

If your line "passed" both Quiet Tests above, replace the NTE Faceplate, connect the corded phone ONLY and re-test.

If you hear anything untoward, report it as a PHONE Fault to your PHONE provider - do NOT mention Broadband.

If it has "passed" all of the Quiet Tests above, re-connect your internal wiring; and re-do the Quiet Test at a suitable location.

If you NOW hear any untoward noise, the cause is within your internal wiring, either directly such as a phone or other device plugged in to any part of it; or may be from a nearby source, such as a plasma TV set, microwave cooker if working etc etc.

Either way, remedial action is your responsibility, as the internal wiring is yours.

Until you have ensured that the phone (and by implication DSL) wiring is "Clean and Quiet", there is no point in changing ISP including the possibility of Contract Termination Fees/Penalties; or of buying expensive new equipment.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Oct-13 14:53:08
Print Post

What router is it? Looking for something that reports currently connected speed in the web interface.

Sky, plusnet or talktalk would be the usual choices.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-13 16:39:01
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Hi Eckiedoo

Thanks for the very detailed instructions, I can see you are used to instructing those less capable! I will see this evening if the internet drops and follow your routine. Otherwise, I will do the tests tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes and what the results are.

Thanks again
Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-13 21:16:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron

The router is a Netgear DGN1000; is what you mean about the connected speed:

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 3.4.4.1.0.1
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 14307 Kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1223 Kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-13 21:19:11
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Eckiedoo, I have completed the quiet test three times; the last time while the internet was playing up. All three passed with no noise heard - I asked my wife to listen too, as she has amazing hearing.

What should I do now?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Oct-13 23:43:10
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html#netgear

There should be some other figures too, if the noise margin is around 6dB and not wandering around a lot then the line itself is stable probably and speed issues may be with the provider.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 22-Oct-13 12:44:22
Print Post

As you have established that your line is "Quiet" and thus apparently eliminated, you should now follow through with Andrew on the more technical side, to try to establish the cause/s of the interruptions.

However, the general performance seems fine, try following up the TBB Broadband Map, to compare the ADSL Speeds that you are getting, to others in you wider area, particularly directly comparable such a VM ADSL results, although unfortunately very few update these on a frequent/regular basis.

I have slightly better results on the Download side than you, on EE/Orange ADSL2.

Others in the locality, subject to the limitations mentioned, are around 12 Mbps and lower to about 6 Mbps, mainly SKY and BT variants, whether nearer or further from the Exchange.

No VDSL/Fibre to confuse the issue!

I also have the SamKnows White Box continually monitoring my line; and it has not recorded any untoward incidents.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to