General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bernado
(newbie) Sun 27-Oct-13 13:42:21
Print Post

C&W LLU, anyone use it?

[link to this post]

So my O2W package is about to finish thanks to O2 pulling the plug on their wholesale stuff, my exchange also have C&W LLU available which I can get on similar terms. Anyone use them at all? I'm kind of put off as I understand Virgin use it for their DSL products and after reading tales from their users of oversubscribed woe, it could be pretty poor.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:05:58
Print Post

Re: C&W LLU, anyone use it?

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

C&W are fine To go with maybe try xilo ?

Virgin are garbage imo providing you 120Mbps only when nobodys on haha

Cincinnati Bell - FIoptics 10/2
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:19:12
Print Post

TTB are fine also when supplied by uno on SMPF "pro" accounts smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:22:32
Print Post

They are not as flexible with target noise margin changes or turning off interleave, So not particularly great if you want the most from your connection or play online multiplayer type games, As for the peering & backhaul side of things that will i think be the same provider as the isp uses for o2wholesale, Some isp's also offer a TTwholesale product that is the same SMPF as o2 wholesale is (BB only) they may be more accomodating with custom line configs than C &W (Vodafone)are
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:23:29
Print Post

C & W is a wholesaler, as is BT Wholesale.

The difference in user experience wrt throughput and congestion with BT Wholesale ISPs, from poor to excellent, is down basically to three things: the amount of capacity they rent from BT Wholesale to handle the traffic between you and the ISP; the throughput capacity of their own routers; and the capacity they rent from those routers out to the wider internet.

The same will apply to C & W based ISPs.

Just like Sky LLU compared to Sky Connect, O2 LLU (as was) to O2 Access; and TalkTalk, who it seems provide a bare minimum transfer capacity from BT Wholesale for their non-LLU customers, I expect VM only provide a minimum for their DSL ones.

I believe all of them only provide BT Wholesale based services so as to be able to claim national coverage.

I don't think you need worry about most C & W resellers. They live by providing a good customer experience. Have you a preference among them?

Edit - just realised you are looking because of what Xilo/uno have just told you about O2 Wholesale. So I assume Xilo/uno are your preference.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-Oct-13 14:27:42)

Standard User bernado
(newbie) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:39:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't think you need worry about most C & W resellers. They live by providing a good customer experience. Have you a preference among them?

Edit - just realised you are looking because of what Xilo/uno have just told you about O2 Wholesale. So I assume Xilo/uno are your preference.

Yes that's right, currently on O2W through Xilo and it looks like the LLU choices for an unlimited package equivalent should I decide to stay with them are C&W for the same as I'm currently paying or TTB for an extra £5 per month and slightly higher upload speed I think
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:54:53
Print Post

Check with Matt at uno since there will possibly be an activation fee if you do an internal migration from O2W to C&W, TTB or BT 21CN.

Do you need unlimited (unmetered) usage on weekdays before 8pm?

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 27-Oct-13 14:58:41)

Standard User bernado
(learned) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:07:28
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Check with Matt at uno since there will possibly be an activation fee if you do an internal migration from O2W to C&W, TTB or BT 21CN.

Do you need unlimited usage on weekdays before 8pm?

I've dropped them a ticket asking the very same and I've got to admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of paying again considering I already paid them around £40 to migrate to them in March. A one off payment I can handle but a repeat so soon is uneconomic. Not blaming Xilo, just frustrating if that is the case as it could send me elsewhere.

I'm not a massive downloader, and most of my capacity is generally streaming, which will be after 8pm on the whole. Did you have something in mind?

Edit: Just had a reply to my ticket stating there will be no transfer fee as it would be unfair due to it being an enforced change. Bravo!
Customer Service is why I went with Xilo in the first place and judging from their speedy response to a submitted ticket on a Sunday, I'll be with them a while longer all being well

Edited by bernado (Sun 27-Oct-13 15:12:39)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:17:55
Print Post

Perhaps see what the reply to the ticket says and take it from there...

I have TTB SMPF with uno, on weekends and after 8pm on weekdays usage is unmetered - my weekday daytime usage is fairly minimal so the "Pro 50" (50GB per month metered usage) is more than adequate smile
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:19:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by bernado:
Edit: Just had a reply to my ticket stating there will be no transfer fee as it would be unfair due to it being an enforced change. Bravo!
Customer Service is why I went with Xilo in the first place and judging from their speedy response to a submitted ticket on a Sunday, I'll be with them a while longer all being well

smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to