General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jamiemat
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:12:29
Print Post

Which ISP for Market 1/ADSL Max only?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in a market 1/ADSL Max only area and will be moving shortly to another property in the area. Currently the household has an erratic connection that seems to vary anywhere from 3.5-5.5Mbit and we've never been heavy downloaders. We were on Zen for 3 years and never once went above the 100Gb cap.

However as I'm moving alone and with an estimated speed of 6.5-7.5Mbit at the new property I've been thinking that I could save a fair chunk by not subscribing to SKY, but that would mean relying on the broadband more.

If my viewing habits changed to watching Netflix, the online catch up service/on demand from YouView and the BT Sport stream I would suddenly increase my usage many times over. And thats before my other usage such as the full games from PS+ subscription and other general use.

I guess in many ways this topic is more along the lines of is BT broadband really truly unlimited as advertised? whilst my usage won't be excessive by fibre standards on ADSL it probably would be.

Many thanks for any input

Edited by jamiemat (Mon 28-Oct-13 14:13:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:27:09
Print Post

Re: Which ISP for Market 1/ADSL Max only?

[re: jamiemat] [link to this post]

The BT Retail products are unlimited and no funky slow boys pipe etc

So something in the 200-300GB while above average would not be noticed at all.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:16:48
Print Post

Plusnet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:29:19
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
Plusnet.

High cost area?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:44:05
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

He appears to want BT Sport. Though according to The Times a couple of weeks ago it struggles to get a 5-figure audience.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:49:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-total-viewing-s...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:53:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jamiemat
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-13 19:46:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies everyone. Great to hear that BT would have no issue with that sort of usage. BT sport is something that, whilst not essential, would be very welcome given that I'd no longer have SKY Sports. With a similar monthly price and PlusNet have an activation fee, BT is looking good value with BT Sports included and a £50 Sainsbury's voucher, shame BT can't match on customer service, however.

We recently migrated from Zen to BT both to save £9/m and to get BT Sports through SKY included with it. Its a pity that the viewing figures are not looking good for BT, its coverage is actually pretty good and I've always been a fan of Serie A and the Bundesliga. Not sure what it will be like to stream it though as I have heard a few bad things.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 22:31:14
Print Post

I don't think there is an activation fee for phone plus broadband with PlusNet, but agree the BT overall deal is probably better for you.

Standard User jamiemat
(newbie) Mon 02-Dec-13 06:51:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hate to bump an older thread but my fears have now been realised frown

Flat has indeed no FreeView coverage at all and despite initially being delighted to see a communal Satellite system in place, plugging in a FreeSat box shows signal strength and quality as minimal with the dreaded no signal errors popping up. While I will try and get that fixed I have to go on the basis it either won't be or will take a while to get sorted.

That leaves me back to my original idea as per the opening post to stream all TV, but with that now confirmed and looking into it more seriously NetFlix states a 5.0 Megabits per second speed needed for HD (https://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/306) and that it can use "up to" 2.8 GB per hour! (https://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/87) That alongside my normal internet use will take monthly bandwidth to well over the 250-300GB you say wouldn't be noticed.

At a few hours a day of NetFlix + the Friday/Sat/Sun Bundesliga and Serie A games on BT sport + occasional BBC iPlayer/STV/4oD/DemandFive usage + YouTube viewing + the free games as part of the instant game collection from PSN+ subscription and its really into some serious usage figures

The question now is if my usage is as high as 450-600GB a month on a market 1/ADSL Max line is that pushing it too far for BT?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to