General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:34:20
Print Post

Backhaul and capacity

[link to this post]

Can anyone enlighten me if their is a way to determine if there would be too much capacity/ backhaul on your line to the exchange/cabinet for a specific provider?

Edited by Speedchaser (Mon 28-Oct-13 14:35:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:53:06
Print Post

Re: Backhaul and capacity

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

There is no such thing as too much capacity...unless you are the person paying the bill for a 10 Gbps link that is running at 0.1 % utilisation.

Are you asking is there a way to tell if there is excessive congestion/contention between exchange and cabinet? No - it is down to comparing speed test results over time from others in the area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 19:03:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, I meant too little capacity for amount of users that yes would be causing excessive congestion/contention with result of speed drop. I guess ISPs would not be keen to advertise such. I can not find or know of no-one using the ISPs I'm considering to migrate too. No speedtests posted that I can find. Switching will just be a stab in the dark.

Edited by Speedchaser (Mon 28-Oct-13 19:04:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 20:10:13
Print Post

Which ISPs are you thinking of? It may be that someone is at least familiar with the approach they take to provisioning network resources and can give you some idea if they have ever been left feeling the available resources are clearly inadequate.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 20:14:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speedchaser:
Can anyone enlighten me if their is a way to determine if there would be too much capacity/ backhaul on your line to the exchange/cabinet for a specific provider?

price is usually a reasonable guide, if it's too cheap and unlimited it is likely to be oversubscribed unless it's a big name that has a good mix of user types.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 21:17:31
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Toss up at this stage of Plusnet or Talk Talk. Would be FTTC Unlimited service with phone.
  Print Thread

Jump to