General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acting_funny
(member) Thu 31-Oct-13 13:16:50
Print Post

FTTP ISPs

[link to this post]

BT are currently installing the fibre/pole drops for FTTP around my street, I havn't looked into the ISP situation for atleast a couple years now. Last I heard ISPs can provision 40/80mb VDSL over FTTP aswell, is that the case?

If not, guess I'm stuck with BT or Plusnet for a reasonable ~£50/month service?

Cheers!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Oct-13 14:26:17
Print Post

Re: FTTP ISPs

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

It is not VDSL over FTTP, but the equivalent speeds for the same price.

So you can order BT Infinity 1 or 2 depending on what speed you want, and there will be no slow downs due to line length.

PlusNet offer connectivity, but you might have to chase them, as they've not fully launched their FTTP options.

In effect for the consumer the only provider is BT Retail http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/bt.html

So Infinity 1 at £23/month with up to 38 Mbps
Infinity 2 at £26/month at up to 76 Mbps
and as its FTTP an extra two options exist
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...
160 Mbps
and
300 Mbps around £50/month

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 31-Oct-13 14:56:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, by VDSL I meant being able to order a FTTC service with a FTTP enabled line - so in theory any ISP with FTTC services could provide them over FTTP?

Just wondering if it will be worth shopping around individual ISPs, or if BTs 18 month contracts are as good as it gets.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Oct-13 16:07:22
Print Post

Again the use of the word FTTC is slightly wrong and would cause confusion, as you would have an ISP saying you cannot order a FTTC service on a FTTP line, which is correct.

What you can order is a GEA-FTTP product that is speed and price matched to the GEA-FTTC products.

For FTTP at present as a consumer BT Retail and PlusNet are the only two to offer the 40 and 80 speed products to people on FTTP lines.

The majority of providers who sell the 40 and 80 Meg products currently only sell them in areas where FTTC is available, due to their desire to keep things as simple as possible for sales staff.

I believe once you enter your details on the BT retail website it should open up and show the full range of FTTP options.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 31-Oct-13 17:18:52
Print Post

Alright, thanks for that. Will just go with BT Infinity 4 for now and look at options again in 18 months smile
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Nov-13 09:51:34
Print Post

In effect for the consumer the only provider is BT Retail

Incorrect information there saying only BT Retail can supply it! Some of the smaller ISPs can supply it through Entanet (as can we!)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Nov-13 09:52:39
Print Post

Sorry the information you have been given is wrong, it is not only BT Retail that can supply FTTP services.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User AndyHCZ
(newbie) Sun 03-Nov-13 15:24:15
Print Post

PlusNet offer two variants of FTTP at present through their trial:

Plusnet Essentials Fibre up to 38Mbps - £16.49 per month
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre up to 76Mbps - £19.99 per month

Some changes are due end of this year/start of next as quite a few of us on the trial and on a data variant being retired by Openreach.
(member) Sun 03-Nov-13 15:40:55
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I did have a look around yesterday, I am not to keen in being in yearly+ contracts for much over £50/month right now so BT is the only game in town for unlimited 100mb+ services as far as I know.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(newbie) Sun 03-Nov-13 18:12:30
Print Post

Infinity are 18 months contracts too.

Some of the smaller ISPs offering FTTP are going to be pretty pricey if you want unlimited data + faster speeds. I looked at AAISP when getting my FTTP and worked out they would have been something like £200 a month for my usage.

Openreach no longer sell the 40/15Mb, 100/15Mb, 110/15Mb, 100/30Mb and 330/20Mb variants. For existing end users, they will be withdrawn in March 2014 so ISPs will need to move end users to different variants (40/2Mb, 40/10Mb, 80/20Mb, 220/20Mb and 330/30Mb). ISPs could still offer a throttled connection - e.g. Infinity offer a 160/20Mb service which will basically be a throttled 220/20Mb service from Openreach.

I am on the 100/15Mb service and I get between 83-90Mb download speeds on average. So you will get between 10-15% lower than the advertised speed. Even still, I think anything above 80/20Mb is a bit of an overkill for the majority of people. Websites won't load any quicker and your ping times won't be any lower by being on the 330/30Mb service compared to say 80/20Mb. The only advantage of having that kind of that downstream speed is if you are regularly downloading and require fast downloads.

I would have a look at PlusNet's 80/20 service for FTTP (I am also with PlusNet). It's £6 cheaper a month than Infinity and hopefully PlusNet will be launching a 220/20Mb service (or similar) at some point in the next few months, if you need to upgrade your speeds.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to