General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User allie
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 13:55:20
Print Post

Primus

[link to this post]

Thinking of switching to Primus motivated by cost !! Currently with 02 broadband and BT line.
Does anyone have any experience with this company? Years ago I was with AOL and it was a bad experience. Would want that to happen again! O2 have been great by comparison!

Also do Primus use BT line i.e. I could easily switch broadband to another provider if they were rubbish and just leave the phone line with Primus. Other providers say they need a BT line but I'm not sure what telephone companies count as BT lines?

Many thanks.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 15:02:56
Print Post

Re: Primus

[re: allie] [link to this post]

Have a look through some other forums, use the search bar and put in Primus.

e.g. > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t...

e.g. > http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/07/budget-...

If your exchange has TalkTalk LLU then I think Primus uses that TT network, it no TT LLU at exchange then it's the BT network which will be used.

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 16:28:46
Print Post

[re: allie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by allie:
Thinking of switching to Primus motivated by cost !! Currently with 02 broadband and BT line.
Does anyone have any experience with this company? Years ago I was with AOL and it was a bad experience. Would want that to happen again! O2 have been great by comparison!

Also do Primus use BT line i.e. I could easily switch broadband to another provider if they were rubbish and just leave the phone line with Primus. Other providers say they need a BT line but I'm not sure what telephone companies count as BT lines?

Many thanks.

Yes, could be full LLU if the exchange is TT LLU'd - also there have been stories of folks being unable to retain their phone numbers when switching away from Primus line rental to WLR (a BT based landline.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Nov-13 20:51:48
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
... also there have been stories of folks being unable to retain their phone numbers when switching away from Primus line rental to WLR (a BT based landline.)
If people on WLR move to TT LLU, then AIUI it is normally no problem switching back.

The problem arises if the initial line installation was by an LLU supplier such as TT/Sky/C & W and the number therefore came from their allocated range, not a BT one. (Think mobile phone moves before number transferability became mandatory).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 22:04:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by 4M2:
... also there have been stories of folks being unable to retain their phone numbers when switching away from Primus line rental to WLR (a BT based landline.)
If people on WLR move to TT LLU, then AIUI it is normally no problem switching back.

The problem arises if the initial line installation was by an LLU supplier such as TT/Sky/C & W and the number therefore came from their allocated range, not a BT one. (Think mobile phone moves before number transferability became mandatory).

Thanks for the clarification Bob smile

Primus current T&C's actually seem to mention that a phone number may not be retained, under some circumstances, when joining and not when leaving as I thought they previously stated...as you say there should be no problem if switching from, and to, WLR.
  Print Thread

Jump to