General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sethan
(newbie) Tue 26-Nov-13 13:58:50
Print Post

Plusnet question

[link to this post]

Does any one of you know how their service is?I was looking at their 76Mbit package and I'd like to know from other users if possible,and not from one of their sales agent how accurate is the speed value compared to the advertised one.They claim FTTC and that if it says 76 then it will be 76.While I know it can be lower,I'm trying to avoid deals like my current one with Sky, where the advertised 18Mbit runs at 8,maximum ever.Or as it mostly does, under 1.Also,are they using BT lines too? I find it a bit strange that whole concept cause back home each provider uses their own infrastructure.
So anyway,since I'll be in and out of the UK,for the rest of my presence here, I want a sturdy,fast connection when I need it,be it 3AM or 7PM,without having to wait around and pull my hair out. And thus I'm aiming high at 76, hoping to get close enough actual speeds. I'm betting anyway that it can't be as bad as Sky. Cause everytime I see a buffer on my screen, I yell and yearn for my 1Gbps for £11 connection back home.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you have any info or decent alternative ISP suggestions,shoot.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Nov-13 14:11:17
Print Post

Re: Plusnet question

[re: Sethan] [link to this post]

All FTTC services are "up to" as they are dependent on how far it is from the house to the local cabinet. When you go to an ISPs site there should normally be a button that tells you an approximation as to how fast you will get - not 100% accurate but usually a good indication. Or google for "BT wholesale ADSL checker" and enter the phone number into that.

Plusnet are generally considered a decent ISP again these days (it goes in phases). Their network is pretty good and it is one of the better value solutions for FTTC.
Standard User Sethan
(newbie) Tue 26-Nov-13 14:23:13
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
All FTTC services are "up to" as they are dependent on how far it is from the house to the local cabinet. When you go to an ISPs site there should normally be a button that tells you an approximation as to how fast you will get - not 100% accurate but usually a good indication. Or google for "BT wholesale ADSL checker" and enter the phone number into that.

Plusnet are generally considered a decent ISP again these days (it goes in phases). Their network is pretty good and it is one of the better value solutions for FTTC.

Thank you for the reply. I checked the BT thing.Doesn't find my phone number,but with the address it gives me FTTC Range A (Clean) and FTTC Range B (Impacted).No clue what that is...but anyway,they both show 80 Mbps down 20 up,on both High and Low columns. Lower, there are the WBC ADSL 2+,that show "up to" values.The cabinet is right outside my building,I'd estimate about 10m cabling distance.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Nov-13 14:37:21
Print Post

[re: Sethan] [link to this post]

Should get good line speed (ignore the range a/b at the moment - it only started appearing recently and doesn't appear to be populated with useful data yet - part of a future rollout of self install).

So, you should get max fibre speed. Plusnet should give you close to that speed the majority of the time. You might get slightly better with premium ISPs but it would cost more.

Sky actually are also pretty good for fibre.
Standard User Sethan
(newbie) Tue 26-Nov-13 15:06:53
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks again.Oddly enough,Sky cannot offer me fibre.That's what they said when I inquired so I could compare with Plusnet.But in the end,based on the service I've received from their staff and broadband, I'd rather get away as far as possible from them.

Have a good day.
  Print Thread

Jump to