General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User allie
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-13 13:28:54
Print Post

Who to change to?

[link to this post]

Previously with AOL and line was always cutting out.
Switched to O2 on ADSL+2 and broadband has been great, no problems.
Now, i'm not technical at all, but I assumed this was due to change to ADSL+2 and if so, I am keen to keep on ADSL+2 but with O2 becoming Sky will I end up losing ADSL+2 and if so are there other providers who use ADSL+2
Sorry if I am being thick basically I just enjoy using O2 and have no problems and I am worried the change to Sky or any other provider will leave me back with poor service like I experienced with AOL.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 17-Dec-13 13:30:07
Print Post

Re: Who to change to?

[re: allie] [link to this post]

Which exchange?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:01:15
Print Post

Sky in areas where it has its own network (which is a lot bigger than O2's ever was) uses ADSL2+

So the key is if Sky has their LLU kit your exchange.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User allie
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:03:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Milngavie Exchange (Glasgow, Scotland)
Standard User allie
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:05:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

is there a way of checking that and seeing what equipment other providers use too? Am I right in thinking ADSL+2 is the best one to be on? Sorry so "green" about this but dont want to end up with poor broadband again.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:11:48
Print Post

You will go onto Sky LLU, which is ADSL2+. (Not ADSL+2 smile).

Your ADSL problem was probably a fault on the exchange equipment, not the ADSL itself. The move to O2 connected you to theirs, not BT Wholesale's.

Sky also have their own equipment at your exchange so almost certainly nothing to worry about. There's always a slight risk of something going wrong of course, with any change to most things in the world.

If you are getting well above 4Mbps speed on O2, don't worry if it drops to just under 4Mbps at first. That is how Sky handle their "line training". It will rise after a few days to the same sort of level you have now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:12:37
Print Post

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSMIL

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:36:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by allie:
the change to Sky or any other provider will leave me back with poor service like I experienced with AOL.
AOL was not LLU'ed at your exchange and so were providing you with just BTw's ADSL Max and it was probably heavily congested. You won't have that with any LLU provider, like Sky, or those like Plusnet or EE who resell BTw WBC ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 16:50:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

He described cutouts, not dramatic slowdowns. So you may be right about congestion, but I think my view regarding the BTW DSLAM is more likely.

Standard User allie
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-13 17:51:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If Sky use their own equipment does that mean l they will be quicker/better than say l PlusNet who share the use BTs equipment along with quite a lot of other ISPS?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to