General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User clicks4U
(newbie) Tue 31-Dec-13 12:03:29
Print Post

Help with deciding which ISP

[link to this post]

I am very confused on what to do now that Sky is taken over. I have always had o2 home phone and broadband for years, and not so keen in joining Sky after some of what I have read. Also I am not sure if they are right for me with regards to having the flexibility to switch phone & BB after the minimum term.

My obvious needs are: 1. Cheap and reliable 2. flexibility to switch after minimum term (not ending up with engineer call outs to change lines/phone numbers etc) 3. Good Customer service. Not a lot to ask, is it?

I am not a very heavy users around 50GB a month I would say, and I am on the Bermondsey Exchange.

Please any advice would help, and thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 31-Dec-13 12:14:22
Print Post

Re: Help with deciding which ISP

[re: clicks4U] [link to this post]

Plusnet, aquiss, vivaciti, xilo/uno.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Dec-13 14:24:48
Print Post

I've just moved my FTTC connection from sky to BT with no downtime although BT did forget to tell openreach to switch the broadband.

I don't think you need to be as wary of bundled services as things have improved greatly in the last few years - get what's best for you at the time. I've found BTs customer service far worse than sky's ever was.

Kris

BT Infinity 2
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User clicks4U
(newbie) Tue 31-Dec-13 16:41:00
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS and Kr1s69 for your replies.

I am thinking of giving Sky a call and see what they can offer me. Do you think I could easily move to any other ISP on LLU, if I decided to take up Sky's Phone & BB offer after 12 months? Although I would have preferred not to move my phone to them.

Also any major disadvantage of having your phone &BB with one supplier, as the advantage is on getting a good deal on charges? Thanks.
Standard User tthom
(member) Tue 31-Dec-13 17:55:47
Print Post

I was with be before the sale then I moved to BT yes granted BT support isn't the best but I've rarely had to call them..

That's my personal preference

Standard User clicks4U
(newbie) Wed 01-Jan-14 10:23:06
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

Happy New year all.

Can I clarify what this means on the BT broadband availability checker on WBC ADSL 2+and WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M. It says I can currently get up to 5.5 to 7.5 Downstream Range(Mbps). Then it says capacity expected 31 January 2014. Does this mean I could get upgrade of fibre from this date. At the moment I get about 6.5Mbps.

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Jan-14 12:50:26
Print Post

Happy New Year to you too.

We need you to copy and paste what this checker says about your phone number. (Not the address or postcode checker options). "xxxx" out your phone number of course smile.

What you have posted doesn't tie in well with what is installed at your exchange, so there's something missing in what you gave us. It could just be the layout of the info you've given is confusing, but a copy and paste may sort that..

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User clicks4U
(newbie) Wed 01-Jan-14 13:46:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS. Here's the details as requested http://imageshack.com/a/img7/3107/5ivs.jpg
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Jan-14 14:30:21
Print Post

FTTC is out for you, I'm afraid. Your line is Exchange Only (EO).

Dunno what the 'Capacity expected' refers to, unless it means it is out of spare ports till then.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Jan-14 19:21:35
Print Post

As XRaySpeX says, it looks like you can't get fibre.

Sorry I queried your earlier post - I've never seen that status before, as it seems XRaySpeX hasn't either. It must just refer to port availability or perhaps congested backhaul.

It might be worth checking again what it says mid-Jan and early Feb.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to