General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User allie
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 01:26:40
Print Post

Sky only broadband

[link to this post]

I have sky only broadband as I was previously O2 broadband only. Phone line is BT.My question is a reverse type as I am happy to stay with sky for broadband but want to use different phone provider than Bt or Sky. Anyone know of any other phone companies thatSky only broadband works with?
Many thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Jan-14 01:53:10
Print Post

Re: Sky only broadband

[re: allie] [link to this post]

Many! But first you need to check that Sky will allow you to change your phone provider to anyone other than themselves. I'm not saying they won't, but best to check before you go any further.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jan-14 10:23:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If I read that right, the phone line is already with BT

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User allie
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 15:04:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Its BT who control the line. Just want to know if I move to say Tesco or Primus who are cheaper than BT for line rental, will Sky broadband still work
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Thu 02-Jan-14 15:39:09
Print Post

[re: allie] [link to this post]

Yes, but Sky make the rules for broadband customers, one of which, is forced Sky line rental if you take their broadband. You would need to contact them to see what they are prepared to do in your case.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jan-14 16:11:44
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

They don't seem to be requiring that for those moved in due to them taking the customers over from Be/O2. The question though is how easy it will be to change underlying phone provider when Sky are essentially providing a different service for the ex O2/Be customers. I suspect though that it ought to be OK - but issues do happen and it could result in no BB.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Thu 02-Jan-14 16:43:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
They don't seem to be requiring that for those moved in due to them taking the customers over from Be/O2. The question though is how easy it will be to change underlying phone provider when Sky are essentially providing a different service for the ex O2/Be customers. I suspect though that it ought to be OK - but issues do happen and it could result in no BB.

I thought that Sky would honour existing contracts. Changes to Line provider may annul that.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jan-14 18:14:41
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
In reply to a post by ian72:

I thought that Sky would honour existing contracts. Changes to Line provider may annul that.

AFAIK Sky didn't require O2 customers to move from their current line and calls provider at the time of the broadband moving to the Sky network.
The OP would need to look at the terms and conditions to see what would occur when changing from that original provider to another one other than Sky.

I would imagine that a query call to Sky CS would possibly result in that the OP would have to go the route of full LLU i.e. MPF .......
of course I could be completely wrong in that assumption tongue

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 19:52:28
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

The only condition regarding the phone line in O2 T&C's, and by succession in Sky's taking over of O2 existing contracts, is that the line must be a BTw WLR one.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User allie
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-14 00:04:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for looking into the T&Cs on that. Is there an easy way to find out all the ISPs who use BT WLR ?
  Print Thread

Jump to