General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User popolou
(experienced) Thu 23-Jan-14 14:26:44
Print Post

A lazy BE user in need of a new home

[link to this post]

Guys

Yup, another dreary post from someone who really just needs to make up his mind now that the door is quickly closing in my face from BE and Sky are hot on my heels….

Was hoping to wait and see what will happen just before I leave my BE days behind me but it appears that Sky are looking to move me across in early February. So, reviewing my options and it appears that I've come down to the same two that many others have oft contemplated.

Sky are offering me their Pro FTTC package for 30 quid pcm. Line rental is free for 12 months and they have thrown in a £75 incentive after twisting their arm.

PlusNet are offering me the same FTTC at £19.99 if I buy the line rental in advance at £131.88. But, it's an 18mo agreement. I'm sure everyone knows the offer so won't bore with the rest.

Trouble is, Sky's bung makes the numbers look far more appealing and we all know that it's a numbers game nowadays. I can either cancel Sky in a year's time or renegotiate so that the line rental doesn't become a problem.

Both packages will be fine for what I need the 'net for so that is not an issue. However what am I missing as a decider? There seems to be good/bad feedback on both in somewhat equal amounts. I'm not one to fart about on such decisions but for the contractual lengths mentioned this is not something I want to kick myself for a few months in….

Should I take the punt with the behemoth that is Sky or rest easy knowing that taking the 18mo contract with PlusNet is mitigated by the service they offer and rekindle those early days with a newcomer like BE (and Bulldog before them)?

Cheers
Pops

Edited by popolou (Thu 23-Jan-14 14:27:42)

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Thu 23-Jan-14 21:54:51
Print Post

Re: A lazy BE user in need of a new home

[re: popolou] [link to this post]

If I had to decide, it would be Sky on customer service.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User popolou
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 11:17:56
Print Post

What's irritating is that taking on the line saver package with the fibre means that one is on a 12mo contractual term and the other is on 18mo.

So, deciding to move on expiry of the FTTC min term means that you will be open to being penalised as they will not refund the outstanding 6 months already committed to in the second year as part of the line saver offer. This is the equivalent of £66.

And, breaking away on expiry of the line saver term means that you will pay a little more than fiver a month as a penalty for the remaining FTTC contractual period. This is the equivalent of £34.50.

Switching to monthly line rental at £14.50 pcm is the only way to avoid being stung but that is assuming that you were planning a move - the cost of this flexibility is £42.12 per annum (or £21 for the same 6 month period up to FTTC expiry).

Fair enough, when the PlusNet service is fine you needn't have a reason to jump ship but this inflexibility of their contract and the fact that you will be penalised either way is rather disappointing for a company that is trying to pin its colours on being customer friendly.

My analysis between both sky & plusnet show that the latter is indeed cheaper over an extended period but much less so if taking into account the above penalties. Rather shocked to see this tbh and it's not helping any decision.

Perhaps today's OFCOM announcement may make things a lot more palatable....

Pops

Edited by popolou (Fri 24-Jan-14 11:34:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jan-14 11:23:06
Print Post

Or taking lrs with another telephony provider, yes the price of the bb would be a bit more,
Standard User popolou
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 11:36:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Or taking lrs with another telephony provider, yes the price of the bb would be a bit more,

I notice you're on the same package as me. Can i ask what options have you also considered if you've not already jumped ship?

Pops
Standard User Galoka
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 11:57:41
Print Post

I recently moved from an O2 to Plusnet. (80/20 FTTC and LRS on the phone, no call package)

Plusnet were also offering £120 Quidco cash back which certainly helped with figures in their favour (currently £100 it seems) I was happy with the deal.

Contracts don't bother me, IME I've never moved until sometime after the end of it anyway (the only thing where I did was my mobile last year as poor signal from EE in my house) though the different lengths of the LRS and BB are vaguely irritating (but still worth it on my calcs)

Plusnet customer service is struggling at the moment by the sounds of it, not having kept up with their growth. But the new Leeds CS centre should help get things under control as it comes more online). But I've gambled on not really needing it, since in the 9 years in this house I've called an ISP support once IIRC. the service provision and running since have been fine though.

Sky Cs seems fins, when I run them on my parents behalf.
Standard User popolou
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 12:35:59
Print Post

[re: Galoka] [link to this post]

Appreciate your feedback. I was not aware of the quidco offer so that certainly improves on the numbers. Will give them a call to discuss this in detail - I may actually commit on this basis in fact.

Pop
  Print Thread

Jump to