General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 19:27:10
Print Post

Thoughts on new ISP please.

[link to this post]

Without going into any details or rants I have had enough of AOL/Talk Talk's so called support, I cannot take any more.
So I need a new ISP and would value peoples thoughts. I am tempted by Plusnet but am a little concerned regarding stories about their telephone support at the moment, horrendously long queues and suchlike. Has anyone got any recent experience?
Do they talk sense and actually listen to what you say?
I am aware it is an 18 month contract so do not want to make a mistake bearing in mind I have an ongoing issue with disconnections which is more than likely a line fault seeing I get many disconnections even when connected to the test socket behind the master socket.
Other ISPS that people would recommend that have good support?
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 20:30:51
Print Post

Re: Thoughts on new ISP please.

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Freeola, Zen, both with no contract tie in, so have incentive to treat you well. Good UK support from both.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 21:26:03
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Thanks, had not thought of Freeola so will have to look into them, Zen have a good reputation so will consider them too though I will have to consider their download/price now I have three grown up children home again (!) who play on-line games. I have no idea how much data games played via Steam use up.
I realize good support is something that has to be paid for but I am a pensioner on a fixed income which is why Plusnet tempts me but I am frightened by that 18 month contract. Anybody have first hand experience of Freeola or Zen support for that matter?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 22:07:07
Print Post

I am with Freeola for Broadband and Zen for line, so can vouch for the customer service of both. 5 - 10mins for Freeola to answer a ticket and very good UK based. Their 40gb use package does not seem a lot, until you consider it is unmetered between 7:00pm and 7:00am and ALL weekend. No need to stay up till midnight to game, watch movies of iplayer to save your allowance. Hard to use 40gb mon to fri till 7 pm, so that package does me fine.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Fri 24-Jan-14 22:08:14)

Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 24-Jan-14 22:39:11
Print Post

How are you connected to TalkTalk via LLU or BTWholesale. if LLU are there other providers on exchange such as Sky.
As there are disconnections might be better to approach this area first.
Do you have noise on your line. Quiet line test ,Dial 17020 then option 2 and listen Is there any noise such as crackling. If so report as a phone fault.
Are these disconnections only recent. Could be as simple as a failing router modem.
I have found Freeola no better than any other ISP with other than simple faults. Their response will be for an engineer visit, with possible cost. Posters here may be able to resolve problem you are having.
Do you have access to another router modem?
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 23:49:07
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Thanks for replies.
I am on a Market 1 Exchange connected to AOL/Talk Talk via a shared LLU, phone line with BT.
There is no noise on the line on the quite line test. The router is connected via a filtered master socket faceplate but I have also connected to the test socket with three different micro filters and four different routers for more than 24 hours each time with 30 or more disconnections each time. Sometimes it will go for a day without disconnecting then it all starts again.
Despite prolonged testing via the test socket Talk Talk blame the filtered master socket (even when using micro filters!) so wish to send one of their own engineers (who cannot touch BT open-reach stuff) with the warning that if they find no problem then they will charge me £50 for the privilege. I have already had one BT Open-Reach Broadband Engineer visit who said my wiring was fine, found some HR faults on the line, moved the twisted pair after which my sync speed improved but still getting the drops. The engineer reckoned a poor joint or fracture in a wire the most likely reason but as the fault is intermittent he could not find it (he came on a more stable day of course)
Talk Talk are still blaming my wiring and when I asked how that could be so when using the test socket put the phone down on me.
So an ISP with a helpful support who will see it through properly is a priority.
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 23:56:30
Print Post

Here are my Router Stats taken while connected via the test socket. Good day today, hung on for 6 hours now.
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 755
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 5165
Line standard ADSL2
Channel type Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB) 9
Downstream SNR (dB) 6.7
Upstream interleave depth 2
Downstream interleave depth 64
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 29.9
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 54
Upstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
Downstream output power (dBmV) 0
Upstream CRC 7645
Downstream CRC 65504
Upstream FEC 24870
Downstream FEC 0
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jan-14 09:30:01
Print Post

Thinking out of the box a bit you could try A & A for 6 months, take note their BB packages are not cheap, and see if they get your line fault sorted then migrate to a less expensive ISP later on.

http://aa.net.uk/broadband-home1.html

http://aa.net.uk/broadband-home1-info.html#more

I'm happy with PN but I don't have any line issues etc. just now, once their new call centre/offices in Leeds are fully up and running the CS free phone call waiting times will hopefully shorten.

Their BB prices are not that cheap if your exchange is classified as market 1 i.e. not in a low cost area.
You can at times get help and support from PN Staff/Digital Care Team as well as forum members by using the Community forum > http://community.plus.net/forum/

Alastair
plusnet
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Sat 25-Jan-14 11:44:32
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Again thanks for the reply.
Any idea when the new Plusnet call centre in Leeds will be ready? Not to mention more trained up staff. At the moment I think they have outgrown their support capabilities so would not be a good move at the moment but are one to consider for the future.
Tending towards Zen at the moment on the grounds of reputation and only monthly contract. Will be contacting AOL for a MAC code later today when my wife, whose name the account is in, is back home. First time I have managed to get back on line since 8am this morning, now11.45!
However will also now look at A&A, internet connection permitting.
Standard User paul_liverpoolfc
(learned) Sat 25-Jan-14 12:31:57
Print Post

I've been with Vivaciti for 2 years now and they've always responded quickly with queries.

I've got a monthly contract and the connection's rock solid.

GPRS > 3G > HSDPA > Wanadoo 1MB @ 2GB/month > Zen Internet 3MB @ 50GB/month > Vivaciti 5MB @ 100GB/month
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to