General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reywob
(regular) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:25:00
Print Post

Which ISPs let you change your own line profile?

[link to this post]

Ex-ADSL24 customer here. I used to be able to log into the control panel, choose a line profile (with/without interleaving) and apply it immediately to my connection. Having a rubbish line, this was really useful during the first month of service to find the best performance/reliability trade-off.

Are there any other ISPs that let you do this?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Feb-14 13:52:57
Print Post

Re: Which ISPs let you change your own line profile?

[re: reywob] [link to this post]

You're only going to get this with ISPs targetted towards the more technical end of the market. Be used to do it but obviously have shut up shop. I think Vivaciti may do it on some packages. Don't know of any others. Main reason they don't is people could set it to a value that causes problems and then log support calls - most people have no idea whatsoever about setting profiles and for the most part wouldn't care.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:18:58
Print Post

[re: reywob] [link to this post]

AAISP allow changes to be made against your line profile. But they aren't cheap, and may not offer what you want/need anyway.

You should also be aware that on FTTC connections, there is no option for line profile control as this is set directly in the cabinet. So on such connections, if the service decides it's going to slap you onto interleaved, and increase your ping times by 10ms, that's what it will do, and you have no say in the matter. Just thought I would advise, incase you are looking at FTTC options. If latency is important to you, and you don't want to risk this happening, consider sticking with a normal ADSL broadband service with line profile control.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6+40Mb/FTTC)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Tue 11-Feb-14 14:20:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reywob
(regular) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:23:37
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

@mixt, if I could get FTTC I wouldn't mind what profile I was on smile I live inner-city but in an area supposedly earmarked for FTTP, so no fibre at all for the foreseeable future. Low latency is nice though not the goal: I like to adjust my profile to get the max speed and stability - which in this case means more than 5Mbps down, 0.4Mbps up!!

I have looked at AAISP for a while, and as I work from home may take the plunge next with them. Zen also are on my list.
Standard User reywob
(regular) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:24:27
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks @ian72. I can imagine it's a real nuisance for most ISPs.
  Print Thread

Jump to